Heights PTA eNews
Volume 1, Issue 1
October 17, 2016
Thank you for joining the Heights PTA and welcome to our inaugural eNews. The Heights PTA is a membership organization that advocates for the students of Heights Elementary, supports our teachers and families through fun and educational programming. Our PTA board has a great year planned with many opportunities for you to become more involved in the school and for families to get together, have fun and strengthen our community.
Recent PTA Programs
- Family Picnic (September 22) - We had perfect weather, happy kids and numerous opportunities to meet somebody new. All of the smiling faces and running around during the BINGO game let us know that the event was a great success! If you have feedback or want to volunteer to help with future family events, please email email@example.com.
- National Bike or Walk to School Day (October 5) - We had a huge turnout — it was awesome to see our bike racks so full! Did you know that students who walk or bike to school perform measurably better on tasks that require concentration than students who travel by car? And, the effect lasts for up to four hours after they ride to school! Hopefully your family can make walking or biking to school a regular routine.
Did you know?
- Our PTA achieved the Early Bird Award with the Texas PTA for exceeding last year’s membership by September 30. We’re proud of this level of support and aim to have a “voice for every child.” That means one PTA member for every child enrolled at Heights. To do this, we need friends, neighbors and extended family members to join. Visit our website to join our PTA online. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Neighbors, retired RHS teachers and professional photographers Sarah Scott and Carol Stum raised $720 with an outdoor photography art sale on September 30 - October 1. They had an amazing turnout from Heights families, former students and community members. Now that is great community support! The funds will be used to further enhance the two school garden areas and turn them into true Outdoor Learning Areas for our students and teachers.
What is happening now?
- Big Kahuna: New this year, the Heights PTA brings you the option to support our programming and school by purchasing merchandise through Big Kahuna, all while earning fun prizes for your student, such as emoji stackers and a party bus lunch trip to CiCi’s Pizza. Go ahead and shop now - it’s the perfect way to knock out your Christmas list! Spread the word. Email your student’s shopping link to your family and friends and don’t forget to post it to your Facebook site! Order forms are due Tuesday, October 18. For more information, visit the PTA website. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Wildcat Wishes Campaign: Want another way to support Heights Elementary through the PTA? You’ve got it! With the Wildcat Wishes campaign, you simply write a check with your donation! For more information, visit the PTA website. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Marquee: Honor your student by wishing them a happy birthday on the school’s marquee. It’s only $5 per birthday wish, and forms are available in the school office. Questions? Email email@example.com.
What is coming up?
Please visit the Calendar page on our website for the full PTA calendar.
- Reflections Art Contest (October 31 Deadline!) All Heights students, Pre-K through 6th grade, are invited to create and submit original works of art in any of these six categories: Literature, Music Composition, Photography, Visual Arts, Dance Choreography, and Film/Video Production. This year’s theme is “What Is Your Story?”. Need the rules or an entry form? You can pick them up in the school vestibule, or get them online. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Red Ribbon Week (Week of October 24-28) - Celebrate making healthy life choices during National Red Ribbon Week with fun themed days. The last day, Friday, Oct 28 is Story Book Character Day where your child can dress up for school as a favorite storybook character (no scary costumes please). For a full schedule and more details, visit our website. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Vision and Hearing Screenings (November 1) - The library will be closed all day while Nurse Terry and 18 other RISD nurses screen our children for vision and hearing issues. As they will be working all day with no long breaks, the PTA is organizing a lunch for them. It is a Heights tradition to provide lots of delicious goodies for these hard-working nurses! You can help and Sign Up to bring food items. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Celebrating Veterans - The Heights PTA would like to celebrate the Veteran's in our lives in a special way. If you have a Veteran in your family, please send a copy of the photo (not an original) to school with your child or email them to email@example.com by November 4. This can include grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers and sisters. With each picture, include on the back: the Heights student name, grade, and relationship to the student. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All volunteers must complete a volunteer application form for the 2016-17 school year to help at the school. Simply follow the instructions on the RISD website. Please note that it can take up to two weeks for the applications to be processed.
- Garden - Do you have a knack for gardening and wish to help out in our school gardens? We have weekly garden workdays and can always use extra hands! No gardening experience necessary. For more information, visit the PTA website. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Library Story Time - Every week, volunteers are needed to read for 30 minutes to preK - 2nd grade students during their library time. This isn’t just for parents — it’s an especially great opportunity for our community PTA members to volunteer! For more information or to sign-up to read, visit this Sign Up link. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Heights Heroes - Calling all dads! We need YOU to join the Height’s Dads’ Club. You’ll receive communications about opportunities to greet students in the morning and open their car doors, serve moms muffins, help with school functions, and other Man-ly stuff. Questions? Email email@example.com.
Thank you again for your support! Our school and neighborhoods depend on you, our involved families and community members to be successful. And because of you, we thrive!
Business Community Sponsorship
The Heights PTA is grateful for the support of these local businesses in the 2016-17 school year. Please patronize them when you can and make sure to say “thanks” from our kids, teachers and families!