Heights PTA eNews
Volume 1, Issue 8
March 20, 2017
Recent PTA Programs
- Used Book Fair Teacher Gift Bags - The Heights PTA gifted our teachers with pre-paid $10 bags to fill with books at the RISD Council of PTAs Used Book Fair. Seventeen of our teachers took us up on the offer and filled bags to restock their classroom libraries.
- Muffins with Moms - Thank you to the Heights Heroes dads' club for treating our moms and their students during our second-annual Muffins with Moms event. We had a great turnout of moms, grandmas, aunts, sisters and friends.
- Mardi Gras Luncheon - The PTA Hospitality committee treated Heights staff to a festive surprise Mardi Gras luncheon complete with King cake, beads, Cajun faire and a virgin daiquiri station. Thank you to Razoos, Pappadeaux, Rockfish, Raising Canes and many of our Heights families for the delicious and generous donations.
- Open House Staff Dinner - Thank you to Jimmy's Food Store and Heights' very own DiCarlo family for generously feeding our family of 70+ teachers and staff prior to Open House. The food was delicious as always!
Did you know?
- Spring Silent Auction - The Heights PTA fundraising committee is collecting donations for the silent auction during our spring carnival on April 28. If you or your business would like to donate an item or gift card, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yearbooks - We want this year's yearbook to be the best, yet, but we need your help! Please send your school event photos to email@example.com. Yearbooks are still available for pre-order for $20. Order forms are available in the school office or can be downloaded here. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scholastic Book Fair - Heights librarian, Mrs. Nowacki, raised $1,700 during her recent Scholastic Book Fair. The amount raised will be used for library projects and to purchase new books for our shelves. Mrs. Nowacki is grateful to everyone who volunteered and shopped!
- Taco Joint Spirit Night - The recent Taco Joint spirit night benefiting the fourth-grade class raised $184 for their upcoming trip to the Texas state capitol. The next time you're in Taco Joint, please thank them for their support!
What's Happening Now?
- PTA General Meeting (March 21, 5:30 pm) - The March PTA general board meeting and elections will be held in the Heights library. Click here to see the election slate compiled by the nominating committee.
- Parent Education Talk: STAAR Test Accountability (March 21, 5:30 pm) - After the PTA meeting, Elvia Noriega, RISD's director of accountability and continuous improvement, will speak about the STAAR test, accountability and how things are calculated at the state-level. Activities will be held in a separate room for students who accompany their parents to the meeting.
- Saturday Heights Garden Workday (March 25, 10:00 am - 12:00 pm) - The Beautification/Gardens team, with help from the Heights Dads' Club, will meet to work in the school gardens. We'd love to have you join us! Questions? Email email@example.com.
What is Coming Up Soon?
For the full PTA calendar, please visit the Calendar page on our website.
- Wee Wildcats (March 31, 1:15 - 2:00 pm) - Wee Wildcats will meet kindergarten teachers Ms. Greenwood, Ms. Carranza and Mr. Alonzo and spend time participating in activities in one of the kindergarten classrooms. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spirit Night at Shady's Burgers (April 5, 5:00 - 9:00 pm) - Burgers with friends on a deck. Need we say more to entice you to come out to Shady's Burgers for our Heights PTA Spirit Night? Shady's will donate 15 percent of sales, so be sure to put your receipt in the jar. Shady's Burgers, 2701 Custer Parkway #915, Richardson.
- Parent Education Speaker: Being an Upstander (April 10, 6:00 - 7:00 pm) - A speaker from the Dallas Holocaust Museum will talk about the importance of being an "upstander" and how to put an end to bullying.
- A Conversation with RISD Superintendents (April 12, 4:30 pm) - You are cordially invited to a rare opportrunity to hear Dr. Arzell Ball, Dr. Carolyn Bukhair and Dr. Jeannie Stone together in the Richardson High School Auditorium. Reception starts at 4:30 pm, event starts at 5:00 pm. RSVP by April 10 to email@example.com.
- RISD Board of Trustees Candidate Forum (April 12, 7:00 pm) - The League of Women Voters of Richardson and the RISD Council of PTAs is sponsoring a candidate forum for the upcoming board of trustees election. Two of the races are contested. Have a question you would like the candidates to answer at the forum? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Spring School Pictures (April 13) - Both class and individual photos will be taken. All students will receive an order form prior to picture day.
- School Carnival and Silent Auction (April 28, 6:30 - 8:30 pm) - Fun and games for the whole family, and open to all! Watch our website and Facebook page for more information, including how to pre-purchase your tickets for a burger from the In-and-Out truck and for sneak-peeks of items in our silent auction. This is one neighborhood event you don't want to miss!
- Go van Gogh (April and May) - The Dallas Museum of Art’s Go van Gogh program will be coming to Heights classrooms soon! The DMA created this program to encourage student exposure to works of art and encourage creativity. PTA volunteers are needed to lead a one-hour in-class lesson for grades 1-6. Dates in April and May will be announced soon! To volunteer, email email@example.com.
- Senior Breakfast (May 16, 7:45 am) - The annual Heights Senior Breakfast is May 16 at 7:45 a.m. in the library. All graduating seniors who once attended Heights Elementary (no matter how long or short their stay) and their families are cordially invited to enjoy a delicious spread, see their old stomping grounds and catch-up with former classmates and teachers. An event flyer is available here. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All volunteers must complete a volunteer application form for the 2016-17 school year to help at the school. Simply follow the instructions on the RISD website. Please note that it can take up to two weeks for the applications to be processed.
Thank you again for your awesome support. Our school and neighborhoods depend on you, our involved families and community members to be successful. And because of you, we thrive!
- Gardens - If you're interested in learning more about the school gardens or are considering volunteering, please send an email to email@example.com to be added to a weekly e-mail list to stay up to date on garden activities. For more information, visit the PTA website. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Library Story Time - Every week, volunteers are needed to read for 30 minutes to preK - 2nd grade students during their library time. This isn’t just for parents — it’s an especially great opportunity for our community PTA members to volunteer! For more information or to sign-up to read, visit this Sign-Up link. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Dads' Club - Calling all dads! We need YOU to join the Height’s Dads’ Club. You’ll receive communications about opportunities to greet students in the morning and open their car doors, serve moms muffins, help with school functions, and other Dad-ly stuff. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Room Parent - Room parents are invaluable and always needed. If you haven’t signed up to volunteer in your student’s classroom and help with class parties, you still can! Email email@example.com.
The Heights PTA is grateful for the support of these local businesses in the 2016-17 school year. Please patronize them when you can and make sure to say “thanks” from our kids, teachers and families!