‘The brain eating parasite’ - Amoeba, Naegleria Fowleri
You may have read our newsletter last year where we discussed the potential dangers of the Ameoba, Naegleria Fowleri parasite. Due to recent incidents in both Australia and America, we feel we should touch on this topic again.
A Queensland mother of a child who fell victim to the parasite back in 2015 has issued a warning to other parents. Her child contracted Amoeba, Naegleria Fowleri after playing with a garden hose.
Another case was at a North Carolina waterpark this year. A young adult passed away after contracting the parasite whilst partaking in white water activities.
The parasite can enter the brain of a child or young adult through an under developed bone in the nose and thrives in warm fresh water sources.
These two examples show that any child or young adult is at risk if they come into contact with water that has not been sufficiently treated.