A Hymnary redesign
The redesigned site navigation is now live on Hymnary.org. The new mobile-friendly navigation interfaces were designed and implemented by Zach DeCook and Joel Stehouwer with contributions from Ann Brown. Give it a spin, and let us know what you think. We value your feedback.
Staff snapshots: Micah and Zach
Are you following our Hymnary blog? We add a lot of good content there on a regular basis, including frequent installments in our new Staff Snapshots series. The most recent two entries will give you a better look at staff members Micah Ng and Zach DeCook.
Here at Hymnary.org we've been trying to figure out how to better support the need for hymns in different languages. We have a few hymnals in languages other than English (17 in Spanish, 85 in German, including many historical hymnals, plus French, Norwegian, Chinese and various other languages), but we think music directors in multilingual congregations may want better ways to find translations of hymns in other languages. So we sifted through our data to try to figure out which hymn instances are translations of other hymns. We used original language titles and hymn instances with multiple languages to try to find these translations. The results aren’t perfect, but they’re a good start. We added a “Languages” tab to identify these potential translations. Please let us know if you find this new feature useful or if you have suggestions for improvement. Depending on the response to this change, we may work further on making Hymnary.org work better for languages other than English.
- Last month, according to Google Analytics, our website had roughly 870k sessions and our users number was approx.620k. Both of these numbers are down slightly from last month's numbers, but both sets of numbers are up 14% from a year ago.
- In honour of Canadian Thanksgiving on October 8, 2018, here are two hopefully helpful links:
- These hymnals were added (or edited) in August:
- Calvary Songs published by Stamps-Baxter Music and Printing Co., Dallas, Texas, 1944
- Systems of the Psalms (Arabic hymnal) published in Cairo, 1987
- Boundless Love published by James D. Vaugahn, Lawenceburg, Tenn., 1944
- The Golden Sheaf published by Advent Christian Publication Society, Boston, 1902
- Paradise Garden published by James D. Vaughan, Lawrenceburg, Tenn., 1944
- Are you following us on Facebook? We post content on a regular basis: both content from our Hymnary.org website and content we find elsewhere that we find interesting. We have a nice little community of folks on our Facebook page and are growing by the day (2,984 likes and climbing!). If you're on Facebook, do join us.
- We also provide regular Hymnary updates on Twitter. See the icons below and follow along. We'd love to connect with you.