Hello Fellow Marcher,
Here are action items for this week!
ITEM #1 – Thank a government scientist
- Let scientists know how much you appreciate the crucial role they play in our daily lives and that you will advocate for science-based policies every day. Take a minute to send a thank you message.
ITEM #2 – Stand up for affordable housing
- Call the White House at 202-456-1111 to say No to the 13% proposed cut in funding for the Department of Housing and Urban Development, including the plan to eliminate Community Development Block Grants, the HOME Investment Partnerships Program, the Choice Neighborhoods program, the Self-help Homeownership Opportunity Program, and Section 4 Community Development and Affordable Housing.
- Contact your Members of Congress to ask that they support funding for affordable housing.
ITEM #3 – Have your teenager register to vote online
- If your teen is 16 or 17 years old, he or she can pre-register to vote here. They will be automatically registered to vote on their 18th birthday.
ITEM #4 – Make sure your representatives know your position on healthcare
- By Wednesday, call your house representatives and urge them to vote against the AHCA bill. Tell them your name, your zip code, and your personal story.
EVENTS TO ATTEND THIS WEEK
All are welcome to attend the following events and are free (unless otherwise noted)
Pleasant Hill City Council Meeting
Date/Time: Monday, 3/20/17, 7:30 PM
Location: City Hall, 100 Gregory Lane, Pleasant Hill
- Show up and politely ask the City Council their stance on immigration issues and urge them to take steps (such as a resolution) to become a sanctuary city.
Pittsburg Rally & City Council Meeting
Date/Time: Monday, 3/20/17, 6:00 PM
Location: City Hall, 65 Civic Ave, Pittsburg
- 6:00 PM Join supporters for a peaceful rally outside of City Hall
- 7:00 PM Attend meeting and participate in public comments to request a Sanctuary discussion be put on its agenda.
El Cerrito City Council Meeting
Date/Time: Tuesday, 3/21/17, 7:00 PM
Location: El Cerrito City Hall, 10890 San Pablo Ave, El Cerrito
- Show up and voice your support for motions to adopt resolutions to affirm the City’s Values and to Adopt Resolutions Declaring El Cerrito a Sanctuary City and Supporting SB 54 (the California Values Act – de Leon). See agenda.
Walnut Creek Town Hall Meeting
Date/Time: Tuesday, 3/21/17, 6:30 PM – 7:30 PM
Location: Lesher Center for the Arts, 1601 Civic Dr, Walnut Creek
RSVP: Click here
- Attend a bi-partisan Town Hall with Assemblywoman Catharine Baker and State Senator Steve Glazer.
PTA Advocacy Day for Education
Brought to you by the Las Trampas Creek, Pleasanton & San Ramon Valley PTA Councils
Date/Time: Friday, 3/24/17, 9:00 AM – 2:30 PM
Location: San Ramon Community Center, Fountain Room, 12501 Alcosta Blvd, San Ramon
RSVP: $45. Click here for more information and to register.
- Join parents, educators, and state and national legislators, to explore topics regarding student success, well-being and safety, and how to advocate for a student-centered approach to education. Speakers include superintendents from Acalanes, Orinda, Pleasanton, and San Ramon school districts.
Congressman DeSaulnier’s Congressional Grants Workshop
Date/Time: Friday, 3/24/17, 10:00 AM – 1:30 PM
Location: Richmond City Council Chambers, 440 Civic Center Plaza, Richmond
RSVP: Deadline to RSVP, 3/22/17 or call 510-620-1000.
- Congressman DeSaulnier invites all non-profits, small businesses, to attend a free workshop to learn about accessing federal funding opportunities. Representatives from the following organizations will be present: the Dept of Labor (DOL), Small Business Administration (SBA), Department of Education (DOE), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Dept of Commerce Economic Development (DOC), Dept of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Dept of Health & Human Services (HHS), Richmond Community Foundation, Glenn Price Group.
Cesar E. Chavez Multicultural Celebration & Health Care Fair
Sponsored by Mt. Diablo Recycling, Los Medanos Community Healthcare District, Contra Costa County District V Supervisor Federal Glover, Mechanics Bank
Date/Time: Saturday, 3/25/17, 11:00 AM Rally/March, 12:00 PM Celebration/Fair
Location: Pittsburg City Hall (65 Civic Ave)
- 11:00 AM Rally and March from Pittsburg City Hall to Marina Vista Elementary
- 12:00 PM Celebration at Marina Vista Elementary School (50 E 8th St, Pittsburg)
- Details: www.pittsburgcesarchavez.org
“Now is the Time – Healthcare for Everybody”
Co-sponsored by Healthcare for all – Contra Costa and the League of Women Voters of Diablo Valley
Date/Time: Sunday, 3/26/17 3:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Location: Lafayette Library, 3491 Mt Diablo Blvd, Lafayette
- This film discusses the advantages of a single-payer system and the obstacles that advocates have faced in implementing it. Film to be followed by a Q & A and discussion.
Earth Day Science May
Date/Time: Saturday, 4/22/17, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Location: Civic Park, Walnut Creek
The Women’s March Contra Costa is partnering with local action groups to stand up for protection of our environment and to rally for continued funding for scientific research and public environmental agencies. This will be a non-partisan march.
RSVP and share our Facebook event page here.
Visit our website for more information.
For more information, please visit our website at www.womensmarchcontracosta.org or email us at email@example.com.
Follow us on Facebook for more frequent updates!