WHAT WE TALKED ABOUT THIS WEEK
Our Facebook Group passed 1,000 members this past week! That's roughly 1% of the population of Yamhill County. Our Steering Group was inspired by this Ted Talk -- let's keep growing!
- Local wine maker, Remy Wines, was highlighted in Cosmopolitan Magazine on the list of “Top 37 Brands to Buy From That Help the LGBTQ+ Community.” See the article here.
- The Mayor of Amity has announced he will not seek re-election. Do you know someone who is interested in running for office someday? Yamhill County Democrats are hosting a series to train local candidatse, starting Saturday, July 11th - see details below or register here.
- Our community came together and raised almost $4,000 in 12 hours to help get a Black Lives Matter billboard up in McMinnville. Stayed tuned for when and where the billboard will be up!
- Senator Brian Boquist, SD-12 (Willamina, Amity, McMinnville, Dayton, Yamhill, Carlton) was back in the news this week as an example of extremism.
Hey, Newberg: Take This Survey
Progressive Yamhill maintains a community calendar of progressive events - sign up to 'follow' it on Google!
Know of an upcoming event we should share? Email the details to firstname.lastname@example.org!
*DAILY* Black Lives Matter Protest in McMinnville
Begins Monday, July 13th, 7pm
Corner of Adams & 2nd St
Yamhill County Democrats: Local Candidate Training Series
Session One: Introductory Panel
Saturday, July 11, 7pm
Session Two: The Basics
Saturday, July 25, 7pm
Session Three: Messaging
Saturday, August 8, 7pm
Session Four: Fundraising
Saturday, August 22, 7pm
Register for series via Zoom: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_eQLaxvn6TUuhIioDIj0AUA
Yamhelas Westsider Trail Explainer, hosted by Commissioner Kulla
Monday, July 13, 6-7:30pm
Facebook Live at: https://www.facebook.com/caseykulla/
Progressive Yamhill Meetup via Zoom
Wednesday, July 15, 7-8pm
Register for Zoom call:
Justice for Survivers at Linfield College
Rally in opposition to Linfield's response to multiple sexual assault claims against former Board Member David Jubb
Thursday, July 16, 5-7pm
Sidewalk along Linfield on 99W
Can't go? You can sign the petition.
Yamhill County Democrats Central Committee Meeting
Thursday, July 23, 6pm social, 7pm meeting
Register via Zoom:
Emerge Virtual Candidate Training Bootcamp
Saturday August 8 - Sunday August 9, 9-1
Available for female-identified, Democratic candidates only
Does the idea of elected office seem too daunting? Maybe a volunteer position on a board is more your speed. Check out the full updated list here, and apply to something! Your voice is needed.
Yamhill County Committees:
- Local Public Safety Coordinating Council - 2 positions open; one City Mayor or Councilor and one WOU Criminal Justice Program representative
- Local Investment Advisory Committee - 2 citizen positions open
- Cove Orchard Sewer Service District - 2 citizen positions open
- Parks & Rec. Advisory Board – one position open
- Senior Advisory or Disability Services Advisory Council - 2 positions open
- Planning Committee - 1 position possibly opening due to resignation
- Budget Committee - 5 positions open
- Parks & Streets Committee - one position open
- Water & Sewer - one position open
- Planning Committee - one position open
- OR-47 Ad-hoc Advisory Committee multiple positions open
Dundee: Planning Commission - one position
Lafayette: Budget Committee - one position
- City Council Position #3 Seeking Applications
- Planning Commission - 1 position open
- Citizen’s Rate Review - 1 position open
Willamina: Planning Commission - 1 position open