1. Sexual Harassment in Congress
✓ Read on Conyers and congressional settlements in BuzzFeed and POLITICO, as well as the story of a second accusation against Franken. (Outside of congress but still in the political landscape, read the reporting on the actions of Glenn Thrush and Charlie Rose). Read and share: “We deserve to know what Congress is paying out settlements for”
✓ Check out the Thanksgiving toolkit for talking to your family.
3. Admin Ending Permits for 60,000 Haitians (Vox)
✓ Ask your reps to support the SECURE Act as well as the DREAM Act.
4. Bump Stocks (ABC)
✓ Call on your reps to ban the sale and manufacture of bump stocks. Use ContactingCongress.org to find your senators and house rep. Here’s a starting point.
“Hello, my name is [NAME] from [PLACE]. I’m calling to ask [REPRESENTATIVE X] to support the recently-introduced bipartisan legislation that bans the sale and manufacture of bump stocks. Inaction after what happened in Las Vegas should not be an option. Does [REP X] plan on supporting these efforts?”
✓ Call to oppose Talley’s nomination. Call both your Senators. Use ContactingCongress.org to find their info. Here’s a start:
“My name is [NAME] from [PLACE]. I’m calling to urge the Senator to vote no on Brett Talley’s lifetime nomination to become a federal district judge. He has never tried a case, has been practicing law for three years, and has clear conflicts of interest. How does the Senator plan to vote?”
✓ Spread the word about open enrollment using these GetAmericaCovered.org organizing tools.
✓ Click to share this tweet: “Need affordable health coverage? You can enroll through December 15. Search for plans → healthcare.gov”
Some additional reading.
- Two months after Hurricane Maria, Puerto Rico is still in crisis (NBC)
- Judge issues blow against Trump’s sanctuary city order (CNN)
- Second U.S. judge halts Trump’s proposed transgender military ban (NBC)
- Keystone Pipeline Spills 200,000 Gallons of Oil (National Geographic)
- The Justice Department’s Top Investigators Are Circling Jared Kushner (Vanity Fair)
- He’s a Member of Congress. The Kremlin Likes Him So Much It Gave Him a Code Name. (New York Times)
- Tax Returns Identify Dark Money Organization As Source of GOP Supreme Court Attacks (MapLight)
Rest in Peace Tamir Rice, killed three years ago today.