While most people are familiar with Amazon for ecommerce, it’s quietly building an empire elsewhere too.
It’s streaming media with Prime, it owns the Washington Post, and it has a pervasive cloud infrastructure business. It also has a lot of data: what we watch, what we read, what we click and what we buy.
Sir Martin Sorrell worries about it the first article below in this edition of the Monthly Scripts.
Top 10 Marketing Articles from the Last 30 Days
Every month, we sift through several hundred articles on PR, marketing and social media from the last 30 days, and narrow the list to just 10 we recommend here. Thank you for subscribing!
1) Quartz: WPP’s Martin Sorell fears Amazon, not Google or Facebook. “Amazon only accounted for roughly 1-2% of the 2016 US digital-ad market. But the e-commerce company, whose fledgling advertising business is still finding its way, has troves of data on how people shop.”
2) Gartner: The Slow, Necessary Death of the MQL. “I simply switched some of our massive PPC budget (which I thought was hugely inefficient) into some other programs that drove leads and I consistently blew past my number.”
3) Econsultantcy: Four ways nostalgia can help to boost your marketing efforts. “...consumers are naturally becoming numb to marketing messages – not to mention ever more cynical – meaning they are less likely to make an emotional connection to a brand. Nostalgia can turn this notion on its head...”
4) CMS Wire: Why Machine Learning Moves the Needle for Marketers. “Thanks to the possibility of gathering enormous amounts of data and processing them by algorithms, marketing is becoming predictable.”
5) AMA Marketing News: Marketers' Confidence Is At an All-time High in 2017, But They See Room for Improvement (PDF). “Along with anticipated higher budgets marketers increasingly expect their organizational power and influence to grow.”
Know someone that would enjoy this newsletter?
Please forward it!
New subscribers can also sign up here.
6) Media Post: Creating 'strategic content' for search. “To perform well in search, content marketers need to create something that’s unique, emphasizes quality and authority, and is high quality.”
7) AMA News: B-to-B Marketers are optimistic about 2017 budgets. “38% expect an increase...product development keeps marketers awake at night.”
8) LinkedIn Marketing Solutions: The impact of employee content sharing. “...one single employee sharing three items of content a day can add up to 23 million in additional reach over the course of a year.”
9) MarketingProfs: Emails Sent by Marketers on Mondays Have More Mistakes. “...emails sent by marketers on Mondays have more errors in their subject lines than do emails sent on other days of the week, according to...an analysis of 250,000 campaigns sent by brands in 2016.”
10) Martech Today: What’s a blockchain? And how could it change marketing & advertising? “...blockchain tech is frequently described as a shared spreadsheet or ledger than is maintained simultaneously across thousands or even millions of computers, with no central data storage.”
The 3 Most Read Posts on Sword and the Script (Last 30 Days):
About Sword and the Script Media, LLC
Sword and the Script Media, LLC is certified veteran-owned public relations agency immersed in the business-to-business (B2B) marketplace. We focus on building consistent, sustainable, repeatable, and process-driven programs for PR, content marketing and social media. A defining difference comes down to our approach – that marketing ought to have utility. This is because marketing that helps, sells better than marketing that hypes.
About Us | Leadership | Services