Dear Community Stakeholders,
On Saturday, November 5, 2016 MPP Mitzie Hunter and MP John McKay will be hosting Hello Neighbour! and would like to invite you to join us in welcoming Syrian families to Scarborough-Guildwood. Please click here to see the event flyer (an Arabic version will be made available).
As of 2016, over 300 Syrian families have settled in Scarborough, many of whom live and/or access services in Scarborough-Guildwood. The settlement process can be challenging and isolating for newly arrived families, who may not understand how our community service sector functions, or where to receive support.
Hello Neighbour! will create an opportunity for Syrian families living in Scarborough-Guildwood to come together with other families to have fun, as well as connect to local programs and services available to help them settle into their new homes and community. We want Syrian families to know that they have a local government, and a network of organizations that care and are here to serve them.
Here is how you can help:
- Set-up a booth to highlight the programs and services your organization provides to support newcomer families. Information should be presented in both English and Arabic.
- Organize a winter clothing drive to collect new coats, gloves, scarves, and boots for families in need. Donations can be dropped-off at 43 Division any day of the week, or to Cedarbrae Collegiate Institute on Wednesday, November 2, 2016 (Contact Sandy at 416 396-4400 to arrange drop-off ).
- Donate TTC tokens, raffle prizes and/or grocery gift cards for families
- Send a team of volunteers to help with the following: registration, childcare, Arabic/English interpretation, food set-up/serving, clothing organization/ distribution.
- Spread the word about this initiative to Syrian families within your network.
***Please let us know how you intend to help by October 26, 2016.
For more information and/or to confirm your participation please contact:
Community Engagement Manager
Tel: 416-281-2787, Email: email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you!
Hon. John McKay, P.C.
Member of Parliament for Scarborough-Guildwood
Hon. Mitize Hunter
Member of Provincial Parliament for Scarborough-Guildwood