Moodle System Update
on May 26th
As has been done in previous years, AEA PD Online is updating our Moodle system (moodlesw.aeapdonline.org) to version 3.3 on May 26th (Friday) at 8:00 pm. We will be posting an announcement on the front page of the system to let individuals know. I will have a video overview of the new features sometime at the end of next week from our test system.
In brief, here are the main changes:
- Integrated icons to be used from the editor (called FontAwesome)
- New Overview Block that works like a dashboard for progress
- The ability for teachers to hide activities but make them available for a student to use (this is different than the traditional hiding, which will still be an option). In this scenario, I could hide something from the front, but then link to it elsewhere so students would only access it through the link (and thus, you could control how/when they can get to it)
- New theme. We will be keeping our current theme, but we will be looking to add a better mobile version
- User tours - allows a person to go through a quick tutorial walk-through of the system
- Negative scores for rubrics
- Forum locking
Since we are on version 3.1 at the moment, you can see more about these from Moodle’s site for 3.3
and for 3.2
As it happens every year, there will most likely be issues that I will not catch right away when I update the system. I will be by my email and the email@example.com
email the entire weekend. I will apologize beforehand, as I know it is an inconvenience, but typically by the end of the weekend, we have worked out all the bugs.
Also, we will be doing our Spring Cleaning in anticipation of the update. This means we will be eliminating any files that are larger than 100MB. As stated in our instructor handbook, we do this periodically, and set 100MB as a file limit. Of course, a file limit does not keep you from creating your own course backups, which might be larger than 100MB in size. If that is the case, and you would like to keep that backup file, be sure to download it by May 22nd.
Just to be clear, this is for files uploaded onto the system. If a file is linked (say, a Youtube video that you embedded or a linked Google Presentation), those are not actually uploaded on the site.
If you have any questions, please let me know.