Yet another billionaire has been tossed into the ring of cabinet positions. Steven Mnuchin, former Goldman Sachs executive, and current hedge fund and banking mogul will have his senate confirmation hearing this Thursday, January 19th.
Mnuchin earned his first fortune the old-fashioned way, he inherited it. And has gone on to represent the worst of wall street greed, making billions off the housing crisis and ensuing foreclosures. During the recession in 2009, he engineered the creation of OneWest Bank, a leader in foreclosing on seniors, and in communities of color, that profited him at the government's expense. Steven Mnuchin's financial policies will do little for ordinary families and working class communities, and he will do lots to ensure the continued wealth of his wall-street cronies ( including someone named Donald J. Trump).
1. CALL the Senate Committee on Finance
2. CALLthe senators that make up the committee if any of them represent your state. We cannot stress enough - please pass this on to any friends and family that live in these states, and urge them to call. They need to hear from their constituents!
3. CALL YOUR OWN STATE SENATOR and ask them what they will do to oppose Mnuchin's nomination.
4. SUBMIT A STATEMENT for the hearing. Instructions (scroll down to bottom). It's not too late - statements, which must be mailed, can be received up to 2 weeks after the conclusion of the hearing.
USE THIS SCRIPT (feel free to ad-lib, of course)
Hello, I am calling to urge Senator _____ to oppose the nomination of Steven Mnuchin for treasury secretary. If our president-elect truly believes in ridding government of it's pay-to-play politics, this would be a choice in the opposite direction. Mr. Mnuchin is a wall street pro who has orchestrated the enrichment of himself and his fellow financiers off the backs of ordinary families, seniors, and working class communities, through predatory mortgage practices and foreclosures. I am concerned that as treasury secretary he will oversee tax policy that will ensure that the wealthy stay wealthy, while ordinary Americans pay more than their fair share to make up the difference.
This week is full of important hearings, and EVERY SINGLE STATE IS REPRESENTED in the committees! We will be covering some but not all hearings, so take a look at this cheat-sheet to find your senator's committees and phone number. Make sure to keep calling YOUR senators!
Scott Pruitt - TODAY! Wednesday, January 18th
* find info on who to call & what to say here Tom Price - TODAY! Wednesday, January 18th Wilbur Ross - TODAY! Wednesday, January 18th Rick Perry - Thursday, January 19th
*For each of them, just say you oppose the nomination and urge the senator to vote against it