Dear People of Grace,
We will have two Holy Eucharist services on The Thirteenth Sunday after Pentecost, September 8th, at 8:00 and 10:30 a.m.
- Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (in the downstairs Atria)
SERVICE TIMES & SCHEDULE THIS SUNDAY: September 8
8:00 a.m. Holy Eucharist Rite I
8:45 - 10:00 Breakfast is served (in the parish hall)
9:30 a.m. Child and Adult Formation
- Lectionary Bible Study (in the Library)
- The Way of Love! Practices for a Jesus-Centered Life (in the Conference Room)
- Adult Formation discussions with Fr. Bob (in the Parish Hall)
10:30 a.m. Rite II Family and Choral Service
8:50 a.m.-12:10 p.m. The Nursery will be open.
UPCOMING MEETINGS or GATHERINGS:
- Tonight! Friday Night Lights on the Lawn... at dusk
- PubSing: Sunday, September 8, 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. Off-Site
- Monday Morning Bible Study, Mondays, 10:30 a.m., PH
- NO Worship Committee Meeting on September 9th
- Early Birds Men’s Group, Tuesdays, 8:45 a.m., LI
- NO Men of the Church meeting in September
- Holy Eucharist with Prayers for Healing, Wednesdays, 12:15 p.m. CH
- Centering Prayer, Wednesdays, 5:30 p.m., CR
- Choir Rehearsal, Wednesdays, 7:15 p.m., CH
- Order of St. Luke, Thursday, Sept. 12, 6:30 p.m., PH
- Steadfast House Meal, Friday, Sept 13, 6:00 p.m. Off-Site
- A Wedding, Saturday, Sept. 14 at 5:30 p.m., CH, LI, CR, PH
- Taizé Worship Service, Next Sunday, Sept. 15, 8:00 p.m. CH
Note: CH=Church Sanctuary; LI=library; PH=parish hall; CR=lower level conference room.
Fr. Gary and Chris Are Traveling In The Holy Land for an 11-day pilgrimage that began Thursday August 29th. Fr. Gary will return this Thursday, September 11th. During Fr. Gary’s absence Fr. Bob will lead worship and provide pastoral care services. Please keep Fr. Gary and Chris in your prayers for safety and enlightenment.
Sunday at 9:30 a.m.
- Catechesis of the Good Shepherd for children (in downstairs Atria). Children ages 3-12 are invited downstairs for Montessori-based curricula that lead students into discovery of a deeper understanding of God, our church and our beliefs. Classrooms are facilitated by Shannon Townsend, Mark Silvers and Matt Englebrecht.
- Lectionary Bible Study for adults (in the library), facilitated by Doug McClellan. Share your thoughts, insights and inspirations from the lessons that are read.
- The Way of Love! Practices for a Jesus-Centered Life: (in the downstairs conference room). Andrew Beasley will be offering an adult Sunday School option. It will be aimed primarily at parents of children preK-18 but will be open to anyone. Here is a quote from The Way of Love materials: "As the Episcopal branch of the Jesus Movement, we follow the Way of Jesus. His way is the Way of Love, and that love has the power to change lives and change the world”
- Adult Formation Informal Discussions: Today, Fr. Bob will guide informal discussions on current events and the Church’s part in that, The Episcopal Church, answer theological and liturgical questions or anything else that just pops up. So come have some breakfast and bring anything you want to discuss. Fr. Bob will be at one of the tables in the parish hall.
PubSing This Sunday: On September 8th, from 4 – 6 p.m., join us for an informal gathering to sing hymns, old-time Gospel and Americana inspirational music. We will meet at Zillicoah Beer Co., 870 Riverside Drive, Woodfin. Remember to bring a comfortable chair to sit upon. For more information contact Monty Wooten at email@example.com or 828-254-1114.
Let's Bag Hunger for Our Neighbors and Friends: Our ABCCM Fall Food Drive kicks off this Sunday and runs for the next two weeks. Canned food is especially needed (meats, fish, chicken, beans, soups, fruit & vegetables). Saltine crackers, peanut butter, pasta & sauce, dry milk, margarine & butter, cooking oil, grits & corn meal, self-rising flour and sugar are needed as well. Bags and a list are in your church pew today and the food drive runs until Sunday September 22nd.
Grace T-Shirts: Grace T-Shirts are ordered. The T-Shirts will be available after Monday, September 16. The cost is $12 per shirt. If you have ordered a shirt, Larry and Lucy Bowen will be happy to collect your money starting this Sunday, September 8. Please make checks out to Grace Episcopal Church, with T-shirt in the memo line. (Note this isn't an actual picture of the t-shirts. I don't have a photo of one, so we'll all be in suspense for awhile longer. :)
Have You Signed Up Yet? Habitat for Humanity "Episcopal House" Building Starts This Saturday!!! We have blocked out volunteer slots as a pledge to construction of the thirteenth Episcopal House: Saturday, September 14; Thursday, September 19; Monday, September 30; Saturday, October 5; and Friday, October 18. For details, check the display on the bulletin board in the foyer and "nail down your work day!" You can also get more information from John Woodson.
The Pig Pickin’ Is Coming: Saturday, September 21, is our annual Pig Pickin’ Barbeque Dinner, 5:30 p.m. in the church parking lot. Come enjoy music and, of course, some really great food. The meal begins at 6:15 p.m. Tickets will be available from Men of the Church at the door.
The Pumpkins Are Coming September 29th: Mark your calendars! Food, fun, work, and fellowship will begin about 12:00 Noon. We will especially need strong adults and youth to unload!! Remember that this is Consider Haiti’s largest fund-raiser!! A free lunch will be provided after the 10:30 service. There will be a sign up calendar in the foyer soon so those that can work the patch can sign up. We will also have an online sign up. Please consider coming, bringing friends and family and giving us just a few (usually about 3) hours to unload.
Friday Night Lights: Bring a candle, bring a lawn chair, and let your light shine! On Friday evenings about 30-45 minutes before sunset, you are invited to join the gathering on the front lawn of Grace Church. They aren't protesting or carrying signs. They are the sign - a small, visible sign of Christ in a troubled world. And Friday nights, you can join them in taking a couple of hours to, as Jesus taught, let your light shine. Please join in.
Education for Ministry (EfM) Is Here: Education for Ministry is a four-year course in Christianity. It is based on an adult learning model and is student driven. The four years are 1) Old Testament, 2) New Testament, 3) Church History and 4) Theology, liturgics, etc. The core of the program is the small group and the relationships you build with one another while learning about God, Jesus, theology and your own spirituality. We need six students to make a group. Your guides during this journey are Nancy Walters and Christopher Jaquette. If you are interested or have questions you may contact Christopher, Nancy, Fr. Bob, Fr. Gary as well as other parishioners who have participated. The cost is $375 per year and Fr. Gary is offering a $200 scholarship to each student. Informational packets are available in the foyer.
Youth Event this Sunday: September 8: Youth from middle school through high school are invited to join the fun as we soak up the last few warm days! We will be "crashing" the St. James Parish Picnic at Camp Ridgecrest for Boys in Black Mountain. Bring a bathing suit and pray for warm weather! We will be taking a van from St. Mary's at 12:40 and pick up at St. Mary's will be 3:20. Or just meet at Camp Ridgecrest at 1:00 and 3:00.
Who Is Serving This Sunday and Next: We appreciate that you have stepped forward to serve in our Lay Ministry. If you are scheduled to serve and can't make it, we cannot stress enough the importance of finding a replacement and contacting the Verger for that service (Chip Coon: 336-301-7114; James Cannon: 658-0641; Lori Tola: 404-312-9345).
Serving as Lay Ministers This Sunday, September 8:
Verger: James Cannon; Reader/Chalicist: Susan Robinson Usher: Johnny Robinson
Verger: Lorie Tola; Acolytes: Mark Silvers, Jonah Silvers, Ellie Silvers; Readers: 1) Jenny Thomas, 2) Bonnie Kistler; Intercessor: Rusty McCredie; Presenters: Jenny Thomas and Bonnie Kistler; Chalicists: 1) Debbie Jones, 2) Carol Booth; Ushers: Larry & LuAnn Harris; Healing Team: Allyn and Joan Aldrich.
Vestry Person of the Day: (VPOD): Lorie Tola
Serving as Lay Ministers Next Sunday, September 15:
Verger: James Cannon; Reader/Chalicist: James Cannon; Usher: Tom Barr
Verger: Chip Coon; Acolytes: Carsten Path, Daphne Urquhart and Tessa Path; Readers: 1) Jean Robertson; 2) Beth Woodson; Intercessor: Anne Simmons; Presenters: Anne Simmons and Moira Stewart; Chalicists: 1) Elaine Potter; 2) John Woodson; Ushers: Will Israel and TBA; Healing Team: Pat Davis and Jane Whitman.
Vestry Person of the Day: (VPOD): TBA
You Are Cordially Invited to Breakfast EVERY Sunday: from 8:45 until 10:00 a.m. in the parish hall.
Sausage, Biscuits, Scrambled Eggs
French Toast, Muffins
Fruit, Yogurt, Cereal
Coffee, Hot Tea, Water, Orange Juice, Apple Juice, Milk
Wedding Bells Will Ring Next Saturday, September 14: We are grateful to Cheri Potter and Nancy Walters who will assist with a wedding next Saturday at Grace. We offer our prayers for Haley and Paul that their lives together may be blessed, and thanks that we are able to provide the sacred space for their union.
We appreciate all who serve in our ministries, and all who participate and attend Grace. If you'd like to get involved in a Ministry, please check out our September Grace TEAM, on page 5, to find out who to contact. All of Ministry Leaders are listed there. Enjoy your week!
Grace Episcopal Church