Heights PTA eNews
Volume 2, Issue 1
August 14, 2017
Welcome back Heights families! Can you believe only one week is left before the start of school? Heights teachers, staff and the Heights PTA have all been hard at work preparing for the 2017/18 school year. We are looking forward to a truly great year!
Upcoming PTA & School Programs
- Sneak Peak and Supply Sale (Friday, August 18, 4:00 - 6:00 pm) - All students and parents are invited to visit classrooms, meet their teachers, purchase school supplies and spirit gear (t-shirts, car decals and yard signs) before the first day of school. If you pre-ordered school supplies in May, your child's supplies will be in their classroom. If you choose to purchase your own supplies, required school items can be found here. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Welcome Snack Week (Friday, August 18) - As a way to welcome back our dear teachers, the PTA Hospitality team will be stocking the teacher's lounge and fridge with beverages and snacks to make the first few weeks a little easier. If you would like to contribute items, please visit the sign up link here. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Incoming Kinder Pool Party (Saturday, August 19, 10:00 am - noon) - The PTA and outgoing kinder families are hosting a summer pool party at Canyon Creek Pool to welcome our incoming 2017/18 kindergarteners in a fun and special way! This is a Heights tradition you don't want to miss! Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is Coming Up Soon?
For the full 2017/18 PTA calendar, please visit the Calendar page on our website.
- First day of the 2017/18 school year (Monday, August 21) - Doors will open at 7:25 am for parents to walk their child to class the first two days of school. School starts at 7:50 am and ends at 3:00 pm. Breakfast will not be served the first day of school. To see the 2017/18 RISD Calendar, click here. New to Heights? Click here for general tips about drop-off, pick up or other frequently asked questions.
- Boohoo/Yahoo Breakfast (Monday, August 21, 8:00-8:30 am) - Parents are invited to come by the cafeteria after walking their children to class for a Boohoo/Yahoo breakfast hosted by the Heights PTA. Celebrate the first day of school and feel free to weep openly. Return parents will be there for support and to answer any questions you may have.
- RHS Back-to-School Picnic (Wednesday, August 23, 6:00-8:00 pm) - All families in the Richardson High School attendance area are invited to the annual RHS Back-to-School Picnic at the Eagle/Mustang stadium. Enjoy free hot dogs, chips and drinks and an opportunity to see RHS performers and clubs on display! For more information, click here.
- Meet the Teacher (Thursday, August 31, 6:30 - 8:00 pm) - All staff will be introduced in the cafeteria at 6:45 pm before moving to classrooms. There will be two opportunities to meet the teacher per class: 7:00-7:25 pm and 7:30-7:55 pm.
- Reflections Art Contest (Fall) - Is your student an artist? Consider entering the annual national PTA Reflections art contest, coming up in early Fall. More information can be found here. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Heights Community Campaign (September 18-October 20) - Save the Date for the upcoming Heights Community Campaign. This very important fundraiser will finance Heights PTA operations for the upcoming year. More details coming soon. For a break down of how the Heights PTA spends this money, please go here. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2017/18 PTA Board
The following are the 2017/18 elected PTA Board Members and appointed Committee Chairs who will serve our school for the upcoming year. If you are interested in helping out, or just finding out more about any of these committees, please contact Heather Koen at email@example.com:
- President - Heather Koen
- Secretary - Candice DeMar
- Treasurer - Kyle Peavy
- Parliamentarian - Allen Dubey
- 1st VP Aide - Desiree Ramirez
- 2nd VP Programs - Christy Choat
- 3rd VP Membership - Mary Shannon Ratcliff
- 4th VP Hospitality - Mindy McAnally
- 5th VP Fundraising - Brittany Musacchio
- 6th VP Communications - Christina Stock
- Arts in Education - Alison Nash
- Beautification/Gardens - Greta Peavy
- Bilingual Rep - Leslie Flores
- Character/Spiritual - Justin Carnahan
- Citizen/Legislation - Kelly Turner
- Clothes Closet - Kathleen Riordan
- Community - OPEN
- Council Delegate to RISD PTA - Lara Orlic
- Dad's Club - Jason Green
- Environmental - Becky Campbell
- Health Services - Susan Cluiss
- Historian - Mikea Grubb
- Marquee - Megan Unkenholz
- Parent Education - Justin Vawter
- Reading/Library - Sarah Townsend
- Room Parent Rep - LaShara Riggins
- SAGE - Susie Morado
- Six Grade Honors - Rachel Correa & Eric Lopez
- Supply Store - Melanie Jackson
- Volunteer Services - Danielle Sollenbarger
- Website - Lana Shvarts
- Wee Wildcats - OPEN
- Yearbook - Greta Peavy
Volunteers Needed! - We are actively preparing for the new school year and need your help! Whether you have 15 minutes or 500 hours to give, your ideas, talents, help and hearts are needed to make Heights even better. Consider joining the PTA and find out how you can be involved. Learn more about all that we do on www.rhepta.org and spread the word about the Heights PTA eNews - subscribing is easy! Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Heights PTA is actively looking for businesses to promote 2017/18 annual operations. If you know of a business that would like to sponsor the Heights PTA, please have them contact Lana Shvarts at CommunityCampaign@rhepta.org. Additional details about Business Sponsorship levels and associated benefits can be found here.