Heights PTA eNews
Volume 1, Issue 3
November 16, 2016
We’re thankful for our PTA and all that you do to build community and support our wonderful school. Your support helps nurture the learning environment which is the foundation for guiding our kiddos to be empowered, strong, able and caring persons.
Recent PTA and School Programs
- Donuts with Dudes - Thank you to everybody who helped make Donuts with Dudes a success. We had a great turnout of dads, grandpas, uncles, brothers and other dudes join their students for donuts and coffee and bonding before school. Click Here to see the photos!
- Bake Sale - Heights PTA volunteers assisted the fourth grade with their Election Day bake sale. The fourth graders raised almost $400, which will go toward their field trip to Austin in April.
- Second Grade Musical Review - Heights second graders made their parents, teachers and country proud with "This is America" - their fun and upbeat musical review.
- Veterans Celebration - Thank you to everybody for sending in photos of the veterans in your students' lives. The students were very proud to see their loved-ones honored in the school hall. The display is still up - just across from the main entrance. If you get a chance, peek in at pick-up or drop-off.
- Recycling Pledge (November 15) - Did you take the America Recycles Day pledge here? We pledged to recycle all school paperwork after we've thoroughly read it. Did you miss out? Never fear - we have a fun recycling game to share with you here. Questions? Email email@example.com.
Did you know?
- RHS Parade - The Heights 6th grade was given a Future Eagle Award for exemplifying school spirit and was granted $100 for participating in the Richardson High School homecoming parade! The prize earnings will help fund the 6th grade graduation festivities.
- Invention Convention - Two Heights students advanced to the district-level for Invention Convention. The contestants -- a second grader and a fifth grader -- were awarded prizes for Best Environmentally Related and Most Pet Friendly inventions!
- Reflections Art - We received many great entries for the National PTA Reflections Art contest. We'll announce the results and share pictures once the entries have been judged. An artist reception will be held in January. Stay tuned for details. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yearbooks - We need your photos! If you have photos from school events or classrom activities, please email them to email@example.com. Yearbooks can still be pre-ordered for $18 before winter break. In January, the price increases to $20. Order forms are available in the school office or can be downloaded here. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Heights T-shirts - We're making room for new stock and selling our old designs for $5! Quantities are limited, so hurry by the school office or email email@example.com to order yours. Click here for a picture.
What's Happening Now?
- Heights Fall Fun Run (November 18) - Get Ready, Set, RUN!!! Volunteers are needed to cheer our students and pass out water as they participate in Coach Sandy's very first fun run! The run will take place on November 18 during specials. Each grade will run or walk as many laps as possible in 30 minutes. If you're able to help with the event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org but remember, you must have a Volunteer Background Check on file.
- Give Thanks For Our School Support Staff (November 17)- There are still slots open to bring food for the gift baskets we give to our wonderful parking guards, custodial and cafeteria staff as a small token of our tremendous thanks for their hard work and care for our community. Food is being collected November 17. For details and to sign up to bring something, visit the Sign Up Genius page. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Parent Program Survey - Please take a quick survey to let us know what parent education programs would be the most useful for you to attend Your input will help guide the direction of our Spring calendar. You can take the survey here.
What is Coming Up Soon?
For the full PTA calendar, please visit the Calendar page on our website.
- Thanksgiving Holiday - No School from November 21 to 25. Gobble Gobble! Enjoy your holiday!
- Multicultural Night (December 1, 6:30 - 8:30pm) - Participate to represent your culture, or simply come to get a tasty glimpse into the multitude of cultures that make up our Heights family. Watch Tuesday folders and the PTA website for more information. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Parent's Night Out (December 3, 7 - 9pm) - Need to get some holiday shopping done or attend a kid-free Holiday Party? Let Lone Eagle Martial Arts entertain your kids (ages 5 and up) on Saturday, December 3 from 7pm to 9pm for only $10 per child! 100% of proceeds benefit the Heights PTA. There are only 30 spots available so hurry and click here to reserve yours today.
- Monster Yogurt Spirit Day (December 6) - 10% of proceeds benefit the Heights PTA. Be sure to put your receipt in the Spirit Day bucket by the register so we get credit.
- Big Kahuna Order Delivery (December 7) - A representative from Big Kahuna will text you to let you know when your order is ready to be picked-up from the school.
- Raising Canes Spirit Night (December 7, 4 - 8pm) - 15% of proceeds benefit the RHE PTA. Be sure to mention us at the register!
All volunteers must complete a volunteer application form for the 2016-17 school year to help at the school. Simply follow the instructions on the RISD website. Please note that it can take up to two weeks for the applications to be processed.
Thank you again for your awesome support. Our school and neighborhoods depend on you, our involved families and community members to be successful. And because of you, we thrive!
- Gardens - If you are interested in learning more about the school gardens or are considering volunteering, please send an email to email@example.com to be added to a weekly e-mail list to stay up to date on garden activities. For more information, visit the PTA website. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Library Story Time - Every week, volunteers are needed to read for 30 minutes to preK - 2nd grade students during their library time. This isn’t just for parents — it’s an especially great opportunity for our community PTA members to volunteer! For more information or to sign-up to read, visit this Sign-Up link. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Dads' Club - Calling all dads! We need YOU to join the Height’s Dads’ Club. You’ll receive communications about opportunities to greet students in the morning and open their car doors, serve moms muffins, help with school functions, and other Dad-ly stuff. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Room Parent - Room parents are invaluable and always needed. If you haven’t signed up to volunteer in your student’s classroom and help with class parties, you still can! Email email@example.com.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday from your PTA board. We are thankful for you!
The Heights PTA is grateful for the support of these local businesses in the 2016-17 school year. Please patronize them when you can and make sure to say “thanks” from our kids, teachers and families!