Heights PTA eNews
Volume 1, Issue 2
October 31, 2016
Boo! Did we surprise you? We wish our Wildcat families an enjoyable night of trick-or-treating fun. Please be safe and remember to drive extra-slowly through our neighborhoods and take lights and glow-sticks so you’re visible after dark. We’ll see you bright and early tomorrow morning just in time for the 7:50 a.m. bell!
Recent PTA Programs
- Reflections Art Contest - Today is the deadline for your child to turn in their creations in for the National PTA’s Reflections Art Contest. Stay tuned for judging results, an opportunity to see Heights students’ creativity and information on the artists’ reception. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Wildcat Wishes Campaign - Thank you to our Heights families, community members and business who donated to the Wildcat Wishes Campaign. So far, we’ve exceeded our $2,400 goal, and we’ve raised $2,462. We’re grateful for your generosity and support of the Heights PTA, and we’re eager to put these dollars to work for our school community. We’ll continue to take donations throughout the year. If you would still like to make a donation, or if you know of a business who would like to contribute, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Big Kahuna Fundraiser - Thanks also for your participation in our very successful Big Kahuna Event. The fundraiser will bring in $5,905 for the Heights PTA! Prizes and merchandise will arrive at the school on December 7. Students who qualified will take party bus trip to CiCis pizza on January 12. Volunteers are needed to help distribute prizes and merchandise, and to chaperone the CiCis pizza trip. Questions or want to help out? Email email@example.com.
Did you know?
- Membership Benefits - Did you know that with your PTA membership, you can get $50 worth of free printing from Staples? Up to a 20% discount and free child seat with every Hertz rental? A 20% discount on a stay at Great Wolf Lodge or La Quinta? It’s true, and there’s much more! Put your membership to work and let us help you save money! You can see the Texas PTA’s membership benefits here and the National PTA’s membership benefits here. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Effortless Fundraising - When you shop at certain retailers, the Heights PTA earns a percentage of sales at no cost to you. For example, simply go to smile.amazon.com, search for Richardson Heights Elementary PTA and select it as the charitable organization to receive donations from your purchases before you begin shopping. Similarly, register Heights PTA as the charitable beneficiary for your Kroger Plus card, and our PTA will receive a percentage of your purchase. Log on to www.krogercommunityrewards.com to link your Kroger Plus Card to Heights Elementary PTA. Questions? Email email@example.com.
What is Happening Now?
- Heights PTA Spirit Day at Monster Yogurt (November 1) - Meet-up with friends for a delicious after school playdate at Monster Yogurt (1360 W Campbell Rd #101) tomorrow afternoon, Tuesday November 1 and 10% of your purchase amount will go to the Heights PTA. Be sure to tell them you’re with Heights Elementary and put your receipt in the jar on the counter! Invite your neighbors to join you. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Celebrating Veterans - The Heights PTA would like to celebrate the Veterans in our lives in a special way by creating a bulletin board display for our students to honor. If you have a Veteran in your family, please send a copy of the photo (not an original) to school with your child or email a picture to email@example.com. This can include grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers and sisters. With each picture, please include on the back: the Heights student’s name, grade, and relationship to the student. Please have the pictures to your teacher by November 4. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donuts with Dudes (November 9, 7 - 7:30 a.m.) - Dudes. Donuts. Need we say more? Dads, stepdads, grandpas, uncles, or simply best grownup friends are invited to join your students for donuts, juice and quality-time in the cafeteria before school. Remember how we ran out last year? Never fear - it won’t happen this year. We now know Donuts with Dudes brings a good crowd to Heights, so we’ll be well prepared! Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Picture Retake Day (November 10) - All new students will receive an order form, or to retake you portrait simply return your original package on Picture Retake Day. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Second Grade Musical Review (November 10, 6:30 p.m.) - The second-grade music program is always a treat. Wear your red, white and blue and join us in the cafeteria auditorium as Mrs. Zayco and her students take us through a patriotic primer.
- Heights PTA Spirit Week at Haystack Burgers and Barley (November 6 - 10) - Burgers Monday night, Hot dogs Tuesday night, Chicken Sandwich Wednesday night and Portobello Salad Thursday night. Haystack (100 S Central Expy #17) has you covered for meals every day of the week, and if you eat at Haystack for lunch or dinner or simply a snack during the Heights PTA Spirit Week, they will generously donate 20% of your proceeds to the Heights PTA. Just remember to put your receipt in the jar at the counter so we get credit for your purchase. Also - be sure to write your student’s teacher’s name on the receipt, because the classroom with the greatest participation gets a catered lunch, courtesy of Kevin, Jenny and their crew! While you’re there, please be sure to thank them for supporting our community! Questions? Email email@example.com.
What's Coming Up Soon?
For the full PTA calendar, please visit the Calendar page on our website.
- Take the Recycling Pledge (November 15) - We Wildcats love our Earth and want to join as a community in our pledge to be great stewards and conservationists. In November, our PTA environmental committee is focusing on recycling and encouraging our students to reduce, reuse and recycle. You can help! Please join us in taking the Recycling Pledge for America Recycles Day on November 15. You can register your commitment here. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Give Thanks For Our School Support Staff - At Heights, we love our parking guards, custodial and cafeteria staff and like to show them our gratitude in an extra-special way for the Thanksgiving Holiday. It’s a Heights tradition to create a cornucopia of delicious holiday food donated by school families and on November 18, we send goodie baskets home with these invaluable staff members as a token of our appreciation. For details and to sign up to bring something, visit the Sign Up Genius page. Questions? Email email@example.com.
All volunteers must complete a volunteer application form for the 2016-17 school year to help at the school. Simply follow the instructions on the RISD website. Please note that it can take up to two weeks for the applications to be processed.
Thank you again for your awesome support. Our school and neighborhoods depend on you, our involved families and community members to be successful. And because of you, we thrive!
- Gardens - If you are interested in learning more about the school gardens or are considering volunteering, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to a weekly e-mail list to stay up to date on garden activities. For more information, visit the PTA website. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Library Story Time - Every week, volunteers are needed to read for 30 minutes to preK - 2nd grade students during their library time. This isn’t just for parents — it’s an especially great opportunity for our community PTA members to volunteer! For more information or to sign-up to read, visit this Sign-Up link. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dads' Club - Calling all dads! We need YOU to join the Height’s Dads’ Club. You’ll receive communications about opportunities to greet students in the morning and open their car doors, serve moms muffins, help with school functions, and other Dad-ly stuff. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Room Parent - Room parents are invaluable and always needed. If you haven’t signed up to volunteer in your student’s classroom and help with class parties, you still can! Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a wonderful November from your PTA!
The Heights PTA is grateful for the support of these local businesses in the 2016-17 school year. Please patronize them when you can and make sure to say “thanks” from our kids, teachers and families!