Heights PTA eNews
Volume 1, Issue 5
January 25, 2017
Happy 2017! As we embark on our new year, our PTA board has narrowed our focus to one word: intention. The work we do to create fun and educational programs; nurture our students, teachers and community; raise funds to make all of this possible and communicate our upcoming events and needs, is all with the intention of enhancing our students' school experience and helping to develop the strong and supportive community for our school that makes it all possible.
Recent PTA Programs
- Heights Spirit Day at Chick-fil-a - The recent PTA spirit night at Chick-fil-a raised $128 for our PTA. Thank you to all of you who stopped by for a meal or snack, and be sure to thank Chick-fil-a for their support the next time you visit their Plano Road location!
- Heights Spirit Day at Monster Yogurt - We think after-school playdates are the best if there's frozen yogurt, and apparently, you do, too! So far, we've raised $58 from our spirit days at Monster Yogurt. Please be sure to tell the staff thank you for supporting our PTA the next time you stop in for a treat!
- Big Kahuna Party Bus to CiCi's Pizza - Thirty-one of our Big Kahuna grand prize winners had a blast singing and dancing on the party bus all the way to CiCi's Pizza, where they enjoyed unlimited pizza and desserts! Thanks to Big Kahuna Fundraising for this fun grand prize experience!
Did you know?
- Spring Silent Auction - The Heights PTA fundraising committee is collecting donations for the silent auction during our spring carnival on April 28. If you or your business would like to donate an item or gift card, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yearbooks - We want this year's yearbook to be the best, yet, but we need your help! Please send your school event photos to email@example.com. Yearbooks are still available for pre-order. The price is now $20. Order forms are available in the school office or can be downloaded here. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What's Happening Now?
- Heights PTA Chili Cookoff (January 26, 6:00 - 8:00 pm) - Is your chili THE BEST? Let us be the judge! Our annual chili cook off is this Thursday from 6 - 8 pm. For more information and to sign up to bring a pot of your best chili, visit our webpage.
- Book Collection for RISD Council of PTAs Used Book Fair - We're collecting books now for the RISD Council of PTAs Used Book Sale (February 16 - 19). You can drop your books in the book collection box inside the school's main entrance, or if you have a large load and need help, email email@example.com and we'll arrange a time to collect them from your porch.
- Wee Wildcats (January 26, 11:15 am - 12:00 pm) - The Heights PTA welcomes our Wee Wildcats (that’s what we call our incoming kindergarteners)! If you have an incoming kindergartener, we have a great program that we've developed just for you. Our first event is this Thursday, January 26 from 11:15 am - 12 pm. You and your student will be treated to a tour of the school and music time with Mrs. Zayco. Visit our website for more information and for a full calendar of events.
What is Coming Up Soon?
For the full PTA calendar, please visit the Calendar page on our website.
- Smencils Sale (January 31 - February 2, 2:40 - 3:20 pm) - The ultra-popular Smencils (smelly pencils!) will be for sale on campus for $1. Volunteer slots are available. Don't forget to send cash to school with your student! Additional information available here.
- Monster Yogurt Spirit Day (February 7) - Ten-percent of proceeds benefit the Heights PTA. Be sure to put your receipt in the Spirit Day bucket by the register so we get credit.
- Spring Creek Spirit Night (February 8, 5:00 - 9:00 pm) - Please join the PTA in supporting the school in their popular Spirit night at Spring Creek BBQ. Rumor has it that Rocky the Wildcat will be there serving rolls!
- Valentine's Day Class Parties (February 14) - It's time to start planning classroom parties. Please contact your classroom room parent or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to help. All party helpers must have a current background check on file with the district.
- Drop-off with Dads (January 31, 7:10 am) - join the Dads' Club as they open car doors and greet Heights students for their monthly Drop-off with Dads. For more information, visit the Dads' Club Facebook page or email email@example.com.
- Wee Wildcat Chat and Brunch (February 11, 9:00 - 11:00 am) - Parents of incoming kindergarteners are invited to join current Heights parents for brunch and a chat in the home of a current kindergarten student. Come with your questions and we'll do our best to provide answers. RSVP here.
- President's Day School Holiday (February 20) - No school. Find a creative way to learn about and honor the Presidents who have led our great country.
- Rally Day (February 27) - A critical difference between PTA and other parent groups is our dedication to advocacy. Public education is our one guarantee for a brighter and better Texas. We will be meeting with the elected officials that represent RISD and we will be sharing the Texas PTA Legislative Priorities. Learn more about the priorities and how you can attend rally day here.
All volunteers must complete a volunteer application form for the 2016-17 school year to help at the school. Simply follow the instructions on the RISD website. Please note that it can take up to two weeks for the applications to be processed.
Thank you again for your awesome support. Our school and neighborhoods depend on you, our involved families and community members to be successful. And because of you, we thrive!
- Gardens - If you're interested in learning more about the school gardens or are considering volunteering, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to a weekly e-mail list to stay up to date on garden activities. For more information, visit the PTA website. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Library Story Time - Every week, volunteers are needed to read for 30 minutes to preK - 2nd grade students during their library time. This isn’t just for parents — it’s an especially great opportunity for our community PTA members to volunteer! For more information or to sign-up to read, visit this Sign-Up link. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dads' Club - Calling all dads! We need YOU to join the Height’s Dads’ Club. You’ll receive communications about opportunities to greet students in the morning and open their car doors, serve moms muffins, help with school functions, and other Dad-ly stuff. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Room Parent - Room parents are invaluable and always needed. If you haven’t signed up to volunteer in your student’s classroom and help with class parties, you still can! Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Heights PTA is grateful for the support of these local businesses in the 2016-17 school year. Please patronize them when you can and make sure to say “thanks” from our kids, teachers and families!