Heights PTA eNews
Volume 1, Issue 4
December 7, 2016
Can you believe that half of the school year is nearly over? Time has flown by and we're at the homestretch leading up to the Winter Holiday Break! These next weeks are full of anticipation, excitment, and celebration. Your support and our strong community will successfully see us through the New Year.
Recent PTA Programs
- Haystack Spirit Days - Thank you for supporting both the Heights PTA and our neighborhood Haystack Burgers & Barley during our Haystack Spirit Days. The event was so successful that Haystack is doubling the amount of their donation and is gifting us with a very generous $750! Next time you're there for a meal, please thank them for their support!
- Recycling Pledge - On November 15, families at Heights Elementary made a pledge to recycle. Recycling prevents millions of tons of material from ending up in the local dump. Join us and help prevent unnecessary waste by following Richardson Recycling Guidelines.
- Heights Fall Fun Run - On November 18, Heights Elementary participated in the first Fall Fun Run organized by Coach Sandy. Kids ran or walked for 30 minutes and boy were they tired! Even Rocky joined in and cheered our young athletes!
- Thanksgiving Baskets - On November 18, our Heights cafeteria and custodial staff and crossing guards were incredibly thankful with everybody's generosity as we gifted them with Thanksgiving baskets that included a turkey, pie, canned foods and grocery gift cards. In fact, you were so generous that we had leftovers that we delivered to our local Fire Station #1.
- Multicultural Night - On December 1, Heights PTA hosted a night to celebrate our school's diversity with food, educational games and crafts. Thank you to the families who set up a booth to share their culture with our students.
- Smencils Fundraiser - Those smelly pencils sold like hot cakes! Stay tuned for more smencils coming in the Spring. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Parent's Night Out - A big thank you to Lone Eagle Martial Arts for generously hosting a parent's night out on Saturday, December 3 from 7-9 pm. with proceeds benefitting the Heights PTA. The event raised $140! Join us in thanking them for their support and look for a second event in the Spring.
Did you know?
- Parent Program Survey - We want to hear from you! Please take a Quick Survey to let us know what parent education programs would be the most useful for you and your family. Your input will help guide the direction of our Spring calendar.
- Heights T-shirts - We're selling Heights t-shirts from the previous year for only $5! Quantities are limited, so hurry by the school office or email email@example.com to order yours. Click here for a picture.
- Yearbooks - Don't wait! Pre-order your Heights Elementary Yearbook today at the discounted price of $18. Price increases to $20 in January. Order forms are available in the school office or can be downloaded here. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What's Happening Now?
- Big Kahuna Order Delivery (December 7) - A representative from Big Kahuna will text you to let you know when your order is ready to be picked-up from the school.
- Raising Canes Spirit Night (December 7, 4 - 8pm) - 15% of proceeds benefit the RHE PTA. Be sure to mention us at the register! Coit and Campbell location: 7651 Campbell Road, Dallas.
- Heights Winter Music Program (December 8, 6:30 - 8pm, Cafeteria) - The Heights Winter Program features the Heights 6th grade Band and Orchestra and the Heights Choir. Everyone is invited! Join us in the cafeteria to applaud our young musicians.
- Teacher One-Hour Lunch (December 9) - We love our teachers! To enable our teachers to take a special, full one-hour lunch on Friday, December 9, two parent volunteers are needed for each classroom during the lunch hour (time varies by grade). Sign up to volunteer here. All classroom volunteers must have a current background check on file with the district. Questions? Email email@example.com.
What is Coming Up Soon?
For the full PTA calendar, please visit the Calendar page on our website.
- Career Day at Heights (December 12) - Heights Elementary will be holding its 11th annual Career Day on Monday, December 12. Email Counselor Leigh DuVall if you would like to participate.
- Teacher Cookie Exchange (December 15) - Pamper our teachers and staff with homemade cookies and treats. We'll fill the teacher's lounge with delicious goodies for them to pack boxes to take home to their families. Sign up here. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Drop-off with Dads (December 15, 7:10 am) - join the Dads' Club as they open car doors and greet Heights students for their monthly Drop-off with Dads. For more information, visit the Dads' Club Facebook page or email email@example.com.
- Indoor Field Day (December 16) - Parent volunteers are needed to float around and help the 6th graders make sure the stations are running smoothly -- especially with the younger grades. There will be two rotations: 8:30-9:30 will be K-2ndGrade; and 9:45-10:45 will be 3rd-5th Grade. All volunteers must have a current background check on file with the district. Interested in volunteering? Email Coach Sandy.
- Winter Holiday Class Parties (December 16, 2 - 3 pm) - Come celebrate the winter holiday season in your child's classroom with food, games and fellowship! Please contact your classroom room parent or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to help with the party in your child's classroom. All party helpers must have a current background check on file with the district.
- Winter School Break (December 19 - January 2) - Happy Holidays and a very Happy New Year to all!
- Monster Yogurt Spirit Day (January 3) - 10% of proceeds benefit the Heights PTA. Be sure to put your receipt in the Spirit Day bucket by the register so we get credit.
- Big Kahuna Party Bus to CiCis Pizza (Friday, January 6, 11:20 am - 12:45 p.m.) The bus will pick students up at the school at 11:20am, then return to the school between 12:30 and 1:00. Please contact Heather Koen at email@example.com if you're interested in chaperoning. All chaperones must have a current background check on file with the district.
All volunteers must complete a volunteer application form for the 2016-17 school year to help at the school. Simply follow the instructions on the RISD website. Please note that it can take up to two weeks for the applications to be processed.
Thank you again for your awesome support. Our school and neighborhoods depend on you, our involved families and community members to be successful. And because of you, we thrive!
- Gardens - If you are interested in learning more about the school gardens or are considering volunteering, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to a weekly e-mail list to stay up to date on garden activities. For more information, visit the PTA website. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Library Story Time - Every week, volunteers are needed to read for 30 minutes to preK - 2nd grade students during their library time. This isn’t just for parents — it’s an especially great opportunity for our community PTA members to volunteer! For more information or to sign-up to read, visit this Sign-Up link. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dads' Club - Calling all dads! We need YOU to join the Height’s Dads’ Club. You’ll receive communications about opportunities to greet students in the morning and open their car doors, serve moms muffins, help with school functions, and other Dad-ly stuff. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- Room Parent - Room parents are invaluable and always needed. If you haven’t signed up to volunteer in your student’s classroom and help with class parties, you still can! Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Heights PTA is grateful for the support of these local businesses in the 2016-17 school year. Please patronize them when you can and make sure to say “thanks” from our kids, teachers and families!