DID YOU KNOW?
The Arbor Day Foundation is launching The Time for Trees. By 2022 - the 150th anniversary of Arbor Day - they plan to plant 100 million trees in forests and communities around the globe. Their goal is to inspire 5 million tree planters to help carry the mission forward.
Over their lifespan, 100 million trees are estimated to:
- Absorb 8 million tons of carbon, the equivalent of taking 6.2 million cars off the road for one year
- Filter 15,850 tons of microscopic airborne particulate matter out of the air — that would fill nine Olympic-sized swimming pools.
- Provide $32.9 Billion in total environmental benefits, the equivalent of the operating budget for the entire city of Chicago for about 10 years.
- Intercept and filter 7.1 billion cubic meters of water runoff, enough water to fill the water bottle of every person on Earth every day for five years.
- Remove 578,000 tons of chemical air pollution from our atmosphere, enough gaseous pollution to fill 70,000 Goodyear®blimps.