Gift Giving Season in Long-Term Care Facilities
During the holidays, residents can feel discouraged and left out of the gift-giving process if they don’t have the money to buy gifts, if they are not able to get to a store (due to health constraints or limited transportation), or if they don’t remember that it is the holiday season.
According to the National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care, some ways that you can include your loved one in the gift giving season:
• Wrap holiday gifts together.
• Write greeting cards together.
• Create a collage together of pictures of families and friends.
• Ask/arrange to bake cookies or prepare another food that you can share together.
• Decorate seasonal wreaths for your doors.
• Create a piece of artwork together.
• Ask your loved one to talk about her life or family; tell your loved one this gift of the family history will be valued by the whole family and future generations.
• Give a gift that doesn’t feel like it needs to be reciprocated – like spending time together, or doing an activity together.
• Give a gift, while stating that it is repayment for all of the gifts they gave you over the years.