Late last year I requested an update from Blue Ridge Electric/Upcountry fiber on the progress that has been made over the last year, and what the plan was for the coming year in building out the high speed internet network in the county. Per Upcountry Fiber’s request, I waited to share the announcement until the state announced that Upcountry Fiber was awarded a $23 million grant. This grant will allow Upcountry to connect a significant portion of the western part of the county this year.
Last year Blue Ridge/Upcountry Fiber installed 450 miles of fiber in Oconee county and connected roughly 4,000 customers in Oconee. This is roughly half of the total customers they’ve connected in the 5 counties they serve.
Projects that were completed in Oconee last year:
* Portions of hwy 107 in Mountain Rest
* Seed Farm Rd area outside of Westminster
* Picket Post area outside Walhalla
* Burns Mill rd. area outside of West Union
* Corinth Area outside of Seneca
* Conneross area outside of Seneca
* Utica area
* Portbass area and poritons of
* Portion of Fair Play
* Small portion of the Oakway area.
* Friendship area
Current Projects with active crews working:
* Tamasee/Salem north of Hwy 11
* All of Toccoa Hwy/ Madison west of Westminster
2023 projects to be completed:
* All of Mountain Rest
* All of Longcreek
* All of Doctor Johns/ Retreat communities
* All of Oakway
* All of Fair Play
This represents approximately 900 miles fiber..