May 29th is the anniversary of Michael Jackson's attempt to buy the skeletal remains of Joe Merrick, aka ‘The Elephant Man’. So our theme for this month’s Bonfire is ‘The Elephant in the Room’. If you're wondering, “is this something we need to talk about?” the answer is, only if you want to – you don't have to stick to the theme. But if you're up for the challenge, you can devise poetry/songs/stories/yarns about:
• the obvious problem nobody wants to discuss;
• the dominant paradigm in dire need of challenging;
• the [im]permanence of memory;
• the reality only you (or Big Bird!) can see;
• Apu from The Simpsons;
• the removal of obstacles; or
• any other elephantine or pachydermal theme, idea or schema you can devise.
Totally up to you.
On the night: show begins 8pm sharp.
Performers: arrive 7:30pm even if you intend to be on in the second half.
Entry by gold coin donation.
Beyond this week’s Bonfire Open Mic Night, we more events in June:
Tue 12 June (evening): Writers Rumble - our writers group returns (info below)
Friday June 15 (morning): new regular event Tell Me a Story – story time for 3 to 5-year-olds and their mums (or dads or grannies or nannies or au pairs or pops or memaws or governesses or fairy godmothers)