I am delighted to share a development in the Salisbury Diocesan Board Of Education’s work with governors.
We have set up a ‘Self-improving Governance Group’, comprising some highly experienced and excellent Chairs of Governors – including MAT Directors – in order to increase the Diocesan Board of Education’s capacity to respond to the needs which schools identified in my December 2015 survey of governing bodies across the diocese. These include:
- Recruiting a Governor: Advertising & Finding The Right Person
- Recruiting a Governor: Interview and References
- Effective Induction and Mentoring/ Buddy Arrangements: Ensuring Governor Retention
- Committee Structure/ Organisational Design
- Skills Audit: Ensuring That We Deploy ‘The Right People in the Right Places’
- Role Profiles for Governor Posts: What Does, and Should, Each Governor Do?
- Reviewing Structures: Annual Professional Interviews/ Review Meetings for Each Governor
- Thinking of Becoming a Chair? Recruiting a Chair & the Role of a New Chair
- Being a Successful Chair
If your governing body would value guidance on any of these areas, or in an area bespoke for your context/ work, then please email Pam Clemett (Governance Administrator at the Board of Education) or ring her on 01722 746952. She will, in turn, share your need with me so that I can match you, if applicable, with a member of our Self-Improving Governance Group.
In the first instance, this member of our governance group will phone you for a free discussion lasting up to half an hour. Any further work which is arranged during that phone call will be charged to schools at a rate of £40 (+VAT) an hour (unless it is agreed in advance that the nature of the work leads to a different cost). The invoice will be sent to a school directly by the member of the group. This is deliberate as it reduces any central administration charges and, therefore, represents excellent value for money for schools. Indeed this whole offer constitutes, I believe, superb value for money and is only possible because the group members are utterly committed to working with colleagues to support the opportunities for children and young people across our diocese. I remain indebted to them and thankful for the huge expertise which they bring to their work with us.
The governance group members bring experience in the practical day-to-day matters of governance which many schools will, I am sure, find reassuring and a great opportunity to learn with and from others.
Just to remind you that we work with all governors as well as, specifically, with foundation governors.
Please do pass on our thanks to all of your governor colleagues for their commitment and utter selflessness in a volunteer role!
Remember that we are here for you! Thank you again!