Hi <<First Name>>,
President Trump will take two paths to win reelection. First, he will use the powers of his office to slant the election in his favor. He already did this with Ukraine and will almost certainly do it again, if he hasn't already. This is why it is absolutely critical the House continue to investigate Trump's actions to remind the American people of just how corrupt he is.
Second, he will continue to lie, gaslight, and bully his way through the election in an attempt to get us, the resistance, to disengage. He can't persuade us that he is worthy of reelecting, and he isn't interested in winning our votes. So his best bet is to intimidate us in an attempt to get us to stop our work. Brian Beutler and Greg Sargent had excellent pieces last week highlighting these tactics.
Resisting is a long, tiring exercise in civic activism. But we didn't come through three years of the Trump presidency to disengage eight months before the election! The antidote to Trump's tactics is being active and getting to work. As we figure out who the Democratic nominee will be and the weather turns nicer, canvassing, phone banking, texting and other forms of activism and electoral work will take precedence. Until then, our elections work is focused on writing letters to turn out voters for the Nov. 3 election.
- Join our dine-arounds before the sign up CLOSES ON WEDNESDAY, FEB. 19! Spots are filling up so get yours now! Sign up. In addition to potluck brunches and dinners, each location will be writing GOTV letters for the Nov. 3 election.
- Save Saturday, Feb. 29! The Indivisible Montgomery meeting on Feb. 29 will run from 10:30am to 12:30pm at Gaithersburg library. The meeting will feature our standard update, a visit from Rep. Jamie Raskin and more letter writing.
- Sign up to attend one of the nearly 30 standalone letter-writing events being held in February and March.
Thank you for all that you do!
This week! (Indivisible Montgomery events in bold)
- Monday, Feb. 17: ACLU lobby day in Annapolis. Information here!
- Wednesday, Feb. 19: Ninth Democratic presidential debate
- Saturday, Feb. 22: Nevada caucuses!
- Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 22 and 23: Indivisible Montgomery dine-arounds. Sign up here!
Upcoming notable events
- Do The Write Thing letter writing events are taking place on a weekly basis. Scroll down to the Elections section of this newsletter for more information.
- The Kremlin Annex protest, which started after the disastrous Helsinki summit, is still going strong! Join them on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 7:30 to 9pm in front of the White House.
- Feb. 25: Tenth Democratic presidential debate
- Feb. 29: South Carolina primary!
- Feb. 29: Indivisible Montgomery monthly meeting at Gaithersburg library from 10:30am to 12:30pm with Rep. Jamie Raskin.
- Mar. 3: Super Tuesday!
- Mar. 8: Do The Most Good Vision 2020 Rally and Teach-In. RSVP here.
- Apr. 16-23: Maryland primary early voting!
- Apr. 28: Maryland primary!
***Note: Congress is on recess the week of Feb. 17, so this is an abbreviated newsletter this week. We'll be back to our standard format next week.