Hi <<First Name>>,
One of the most consistent things in politics is that, as you get closer to the election, the "The race is tightening!" narratives start getting published. And 2020 is no exception.
You've surely come across some, and they come in a few varieties. One is from reading tea leaves and twitches in election polling. Another kind is trying to divine the future from early voting information. Democrats started returning far more mail-in ballots Republicans. And now that early in-person voting is widespread across the country, Republicans are starting to cut into Democrats' lead.
***This was expected.*** We can't know who all of these people are voting for, but it is a reminder of what we knew all along--Democrats were going to vote mostly through mail-in ballots and early in-person voting, while Republicans were going to vote mostly through early in-person voting and on Election Day.
So while the margins may be shrinking, we can make sure we win by making sure every Democratic voter returns their mail-in ballot or turns out for in-person voting:
- Sign up for a GOTV event, especially over the weekend. See below for a schedule.
- Post on your neighborhood list serve reminding people that polling places have changed, and that they should make their voting plan. You can direct them to the Montgomery County Board of Elections - 777vote.org.
- Make sure you and your friends know your rights as a voter.
- Concerned about long lines discouraging voters from casting their ballot? Consider donating to Pizza to the Polls, a group that delivers to food to people waiting in voting lines.
- Join the Longmead Overpass demonstration! Our last two nights are tonight and Monday evening!
And two last pieces of information. First, if you are a federal employee and aren't sure how can be an activist in these times, join this webinar
on Wednesday, Oct. 28, to discuss what you can and can't do.
And then read this in-depth story from ABC News
detailing how battleground states will process the mail-in and in-person ballots they receive this election season.
Let's get to work. There's an election to be won!