Dear Sam Hughes CREW,
Welcome to the 2020-2021 school year! I want to start by thanking our CREW- teachers, staff, families, and students for your on-going patience and support as we prepare to start the 2020-2021 school year amid a pandemic. Even in these uncertain times, the spirit of our Sam Hughes CREW has been undeniable. The teachers and staff members at Sam Hughes have showed extreme dedication to our community by working through the summer to prepare for this school year. I have been beyond impressed by their commitment to best serving our community. To our parents and families, thank you for your understanding and responsiveness as plans were developed. Through it all, we definitely proved that we are CREW!
I want to take this time to WELCOME all new students and families to Sam Hughes and welcome back our returning students! Sam Hughes is a special community to be a part of and I am sure our CREW mentality will carry us through this unprecedented learning journey.
It’s always a great day to be a part of the Sam Hughes CREW! I know the students are getting ready for their virtual return to school and our staff is preparing for their return. Here are a few reminders for you:
- School starts ONLINE via Zoom on Monday, August 10th @ 8:35 a.m. and ends at 2:45 p.m. (Mon, Tue, Thurs., Fri.) and at 1:45 pm on Wednesday.
- Classroom teachers will be emailing directions on how to access Clever and all of the Zoom link information will be available on your student’s Clever page.
- Teachers will be hosting “Meet the Teacher” Zoom Meetings on either 8/6 or 8/7- please check your email for details!
- If you are still in need of a laptop for your child, please give us a call at 232-7400.
- We will be utilizing an online platform to deliver all instruction at this time. In order to create consistency in our schedule, we will have 3 school-wide Zoom sessions (Synchronous instruction) that are live with classroom teachers and Support Staff. Additionally, we will have Asynchronous work times. During this time, students will have set assignments and tasks to complete from their teachers. At the end of the day, we have an opportunity for teachers to meet with small groups or individual students on an as needed basis while the rest of the class engages in Asynchronous assignments. Please see the Sam Hughes Remote Learning Handbook for more details.
- Teachers will have designated Office Hours 3 times a week. Teachers will be communicating their Office Hours schedule and contact information with you via email.
- Attached you will find the Sam Hughes Student Handbook for Remote Learning. The handbook contains helpful information, like school-wide daily schedule, information about logging on, attendance expectations, student expectations, CREW Expectations for Zoom, and more.
Although we are learning remotely, it is very important that your students are on time each day. Tardiness is not acceptable and has a negative impact on their learning. Each day begins with a morning meeting, attendance, and check-ins for additional support. If your child will be absent, please call or email Mrs. Ilyssa Beckwith, the Office Manager, at (520)-232-7400 (Ilyssa.Beckwith@tusd1.org).
Safety is always a priority at Sam Hughes. Please remember that even though we are not physically at the school, cyber safety and appropriate use of the internet/technology and Zoom platform will be expected and discussed by our staff to students.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to your classroom teacher for support, clarification, and concerns. Teachers will provide parents with contact information to promote communication as we work and learn remotely. Please adhere to the teachers designated office hours and allow the teacher 24 hours to respond to your request.
All of us here at Sam Hughes, are committed to providing the best education for your students. We need your involvement, ideas, and support.
Your Sam Hughes CREW is here to answer your questions, concerns and to support you as we start the year. We are still under a “closed” status and are not open to the public. If you need assistance, please call 520-232-7400 between 7:30 am to 4:00 pm Monday – Friday. Messages are checked regularly and are returned promptly.
See you on Zoom the first day of school: Monday, August 10th at 8:35 via Zoom!
Always remember, we are CREW!