Fallible Ideas Newsletter
Philosophy and rational analysis. By Elliot Temple.
BoI Explainer Videos
I’ve made five videos analyzing and explaining David Deutsch’s book The Beginning of Infinity. I helped with making the book for seven years.
More videos to come. They’re on a new channel (Critical Fallibilism) so subscribe, click the bell, and enable all notifications.
Critical Fallibilism Course on Sale
The videos for my Critical Fallibilism Course are now on sale.
These 8 videos (16.5 hours) teach my philosophy, Critical Fallibilism, which builds on Critical Rationalism (by Karl Popper and secondarily David Deutsch), Objectivism (by Ayn Rand and secondarily Leonard Peikoff) and Theory of Constraints (by Eli Goldratt). The course is primarily my original material and focuses on teaching tools for thinking effectively. Topics covered include:
- IGCs (idea, goal, context triples, and using IGC charts for decision making and judging ideas)
- Qualitative or quantitative
- Discrete (often binary) or continuous
- Sub-goals, combo goals, final goals
- Criticism (explaining why an idea fails at a goal in a context)
- Only act on non-refuted IGCs
- Library of criticism
- Methods to get one non-refuted IGC
- Dealing with conflicts of ideas by considering what to do, from neutral perspective, given an unknown
- High & low attention goals (near or not near a breakpoint)
- High & low attention ideas (mastery, autopilot)
- Critical Rationalism (connections to Critical Fallibilism)
- Objectivism (connections to Critical Fallibilism)
- Theory of Constraints (connections to Critical Fallibilism)
- Excess capacity, buffers, margins of error
- Bottlenecks, constraints, limiting factors
- Silver bullets
- Local & Global Optima (crossing relevant breakpoints)
- Throughput (does this (local) action cause an improvement at the big picture goal?)
I taught the course live over Zoom video conferencing to five students in November 2020. The format was two 2-hour sessions per week (8 total) with slides. I addressed student questions for each slide as we went along. It's a hybrid between lecture and discussion.
Buy on Gumroad ($880).
My former mentor and colleague David Deutsch (DD) finally responded to the ongoing harassment from his community against me and my community. His response was to lie about me in order to attack me. He has made his stance clear by personally joining in the harassment, in writing (so much for the people whose take was that DD was a whole step removed from harassment, since a bunch of his associates were friendly with the biggest harasser, and the harassers were all DD fans who saw me as DD’s enemy, but DD didn’t personally promote Andy B). DD apparently wants to hurt me so badly that he did something that may be illegal (libel, defamation). He has given no reason for why he’s doing this.
See David Deutsch Lied About Me and Harassment Summary.