Everyone ready for a super awesome season of prison classes?!
I may have overstated the magical nature of prison teaching in this week's headline...but it's also possible I'm understating it, because with ALL the tiny little details that go into this massive endeavor and ALL the complex relationships on which this program depends, we somehow make it work every semester! So thank you in advance for your patience, passion, and time - we could not even remotely do this without you :)
CREATE AN ENTERPRISE CAR-SHARE ACCOUNT NOW!
- Friday, January 20 @ 10am-12pm: NJDOC New Teacher Orientation (Location: NJDOC Central Office, Trenton)
- Friday, January 20 & Friday, January 27 @ 2-4pm: Fort Dix New Teacher Orientation (Location: Peyton 201) - Jill Knapp is hosting these optional (but strongly advised) sessions for new Fort Dix teachers.
- Thursday, January 26 (time TBD): TENTATIVE NJDOC New Teacher Orientation (Location: Garden State Youth Correctional Facility, Bordentown)
- Friday, January 27 @ 12-2pm: PTI's Super Awesome New Teacher Orientation! (Location: Teacher Prep, 41 William St., 2nd floor seminar room)
- Monday, January 30: PTI classes begin!
- Exciting professional development opportunities throughout the semester! The PTI Leadership Team is in the process of developing a monthly professional development series for all interested faculty. This semester, we're planning on addressing the following topics: instructional strategies/techniques in a prison classroom, classroom management techniques, differentiated instruction, and addressing special learning needs OR working with ESL/ELL students (still deciding on that last one). We're also planning some other feedback and social events for our treasured teachers, so stay tuned (and feel free to lend us your ideas if you've got them).
PTI has established a partnership with Enterprise Car-Share on campus, so if you are a member of the Princeton University community and a PTI instructor, please consider creating a free account now so that if you should need to borrow a vehicle to get to and from your teaching location, you're ready to do so. A few things to keep in mind:
IMPORTANT INFO COMING YOUR WAY
- Our guidelines for using the program will be included in our forthcoming Volunteer Handbook. Generally, though, we ask our instructors to be judicious in their use of the program and to carpool whenever possible (using either Enterprise or personal vehicles).
- The program is completely free to use - rentals are billed directly to PTI.
- Your welcome packet (including your pass card) will most likely be sent to the PTI office, so allow time to pick that up before you need to rent a vehicle.
- If you have an existing Car-Share membership, you will need to create a new account connected to the PTI account. The only potential inconvenience is that you will need to ensure you are renting vehicles with the appropriate account; otherwise, your PTI Car-Share membership should not interfere with your existing personal membership.
Before the semester gets underway, you can expect to receive the following information in the next week or two:
AROUND THE INTERWEBS IN 80 SECONDS
CONTRIBUTE YOUR IDEAS!
- Access to Sharepoint and/or a netID (if you don't already have one)
- Contact information for your facility's NJSTEP academic counselor
- Team/pod leads: You'll be getting details on your team/pod members' clearance status
- A request for info on your willingness/ability to transport others on your teaching nights (using either your own vehicle or our Enterprise Car-Share membership)
- The all-new and totally improved (because there hasn't been one before) Volunteer Handbook!
- Various and sundry emails from Tara that will inspire a range of emotions, including (but not limited to) joy, trepidation, irritation, curiosity, and indifference.
I hope PTI Matters will continue to grow and be ever more useful to our teachers and friends. Please feel free to email your news blurbs and other suggestions to email@example.com so we can highlight them here!