Contribute your stories!
As we get further into the semester and there are fewer logistics to remind you of, we hope you'll consider sending in a story or two for the newsletter! We'd love to read more about student (and instructor) success stories, profiles of new instructors, interesting class projects, etc. Send your stories to Tara at email@example.com.
OFFICE HOURS FOR THE WEEK OF FEB. 13
Here are our instructor support office hours for February 13-17:
Additionally, Tara is in the PTI office Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:30am to 6pm, and you are always welcome to contact members of our Leadership Team.
- Monday, Feb. 13, 10-11am (Peyton 113): Hosted by Jenny Greene
- Monday, Feb. 13, 3-5pm (PTI Office): Hosted by Matt Spellberg
- Thursday, Feb. 16, 1-3pm (Peyton 106): Hosted by Jill Knapp (also available by appointment or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
NEW FRIDAY EVENING TUTORING GUIDELINES
We encourage our instructors to use the Friday evening tutoring modules at Garden State and Wagner as an opportunity to tutor, meet one on one with students, provide make-up exams, host study groups, and whatever else is useful to the success of your class. However, the DOC has imposed new rules on how we handle the pass lists for tutoring that restrict our access a bit. Whereas we used to be able to include instructors on every week's past list (as POSSIBLE tutors for that week), we now must provide details about who is CONFIRMED to be going in each week. That means instructors can no longer decide at the last minute to go in.
Please notify Tara, the PTI coordinator (email@example.com) and Lesa, the tutoring coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the Monday evening before the Friday you would like to go in. Lesa coordinates transportation, so it's important that she knows who can offer a ride and who might need a ride. Tara must send the tutoring list to NJSTEP by Tuesday morning each week.
We also recommend planning with your teaching team/pod as far in advance if you'd like to offer regular office hours to your students using the Friday night module. Then send that schedule to us and we'd be happy to hold onto it and report it weekly to the DOC. Thanks for your understanding and patience as we adapt to the new requirements!
FORT DIX IS OFF AND RUNNING!
All classes have officially started, with a total of seven STEM classes on the roster:
Jill Knapp estimates total enrollment is around 120 students. The growth and success of this program is remarkable, especially given that it really only got off the ground last semester! We applaud the instructors involved in making it happen and we look forward to continued growth.
- Psychology 101
- Sociology/Women's & Gender Studies 132
- Biology 113 (with lab)
- Biology 114
- Math 033
- Math 125
- Math 135
OUR DOC CLASS SCHEDULE IS ALSO GOING (REASONABLY) WELL...
The following classes are already underway:
Next week, Chris Hedges' BA course, Creative Explorations of Justice, begins at Edna Mahan.
- AA Classes @ Wagner: Art Appreciation, Principles of Biology, Elementary Algebra, Introduction to Political Science
- AA Classes @ Garden State: Composition I (with workshop), Composition I (without workshop), Introduction to Italian II, Elementary Algebra (2 sections), Intermediate Algebra, Introduction to Psychology, Introduction to Sociology
- BA Class: Radical Translation/Radical Poetics @ Garden State (led by Karen Emmerichs and the first inside class to be accredited by Princeton University)
ADJUSTMENTS TO SECOND FRIDAY PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SESSIONS
Response to the first scheduled session (Friday, Feb. 10, 3-5pm) was low, so we've decided to reschedule for a time that might work better for instructors' schedules - perhaps a one-hour lunchtime session instead. Stay tuned, as we are still planning to cover the following topics in at least three sessions this semester:
IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET, CHECK OUT OUR NEW VOLUNTEER HANDBOOK!
- Instructional techniques in the prison classroom
- Classroom management strategies
- Differentiated instruction
Though it's a work in progress, it's a start! Please send feedback to Tara at email@example.com. She's especially interested in knowing what other resources your might find useful!
AROUND THE INTERWEBS IN 80 SECONDS
CONTRIBUTE YOUR IDEAS!
I hope PTI Matters will continue to grow and be ever more useful to our teachers and friends. Please feel free to email your news blurbs and other suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can highlight them here!