Gender equality is a topic you simply can’t ignore if you are an experience designer, event curator or workshop facilitator. We’ve all been to conferences, discussions and workshops where the panel in front of us has been made up of male guests, a male moderator and (maybe) one woman.
In his article “Let’s get rid of all-male panels: How to create more gender equal conferences”, Manuel Großmann from Service Design Berlin offers hands-on suggestions on how to tackle gender equality at conferences, sharing insights on how the Service Design Berlin team approaches the topic for their Service Experience Camp and how they got rid of all-male panels at their event.
7 Suggestions From the Service Experience Camp Team:
1. Have women in your founding team
2. Push for an equal amount of female speakers
3. Stick to your values
4. Pay attention to details — especially language
5. If you have to discriminate, then discriminate against men for a change
6. Be aware of gender clichés at volunteer activities
7. Get started now