The reason I barf out lots of chatter about technique is because it will
1) Help prevent you getting injured when rowing
2) Help you row more efficiently, and therefore – for longer
3) Will let you use all the muscles you’re meant to be using when rowing.
This starts with getting into the right position for the drive, where you put all your power into the machine – known as “The Catch”.
· Tilt over your hips so you’re leaning into around 1 o’clock on the clock face.
· Arms straight, at a neutral height (not up, not down)
· Keep your arms and shoulders relaxed
· Hook fingers over the handle, thumbs underneath. Don’t choke on the handle!
· Slide forwards on the seat until shins are vertical, heels not too far off the plates
· Knees slightly apart (but not outside your elbows)
· Look straight ahead, chin neutral (it helps to have the monitor at eye height)
Next month – the drive. But all my videos talk about technique, so check them out.
If you’re interested in printing off the RowAlong poster to hang in your gym, please get it here: https://rowalong.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/RowAlong_Poster.pdf