Fall is here, so we thought we would equip you with our favourite Naturopathic tips for surviving the cold weather ahead!
Naturopathic Cold and Flu Kit
Our Favourite Supplements and Botanicals
1) Vitamin D is key for proper immune system function! The best is getting a lab test done to see where your levels are at and then taking a dose specific to your lab report results. Typical dose for Vitamin D is around 1,000-2,000IU.
2) Vitamin C is essential for a healthy immune system response. It helps to stimulate the function and production of white blood cells and helps to produce antibodies. About 500-1000mg daily is a typical dose for Vitamin C.
3) Echinacea is known for its ability to prevent upper respiratory tract infections and reduce the duration of a cold that has started. You know you have a good quality Echinacea when it tingles on your tongue!
4) Probiotics are all the rage right now! Probiotics help to support optimal gut health. The more good bacteria you have in the gut will help to maintain a balanced immune system.
- Make sure you get plenty of water throughout the day. At least 8 glasses daily.
- Eat lots of bright coloured vegetables and fruits, especially sweet potatoes, butternut squash, and carrots. These vegetables are high in Beta-carotene which is converted into Vitamin A in our body. Vitamin A helps to protect the mucous membrane lining in our nose and lungs allowing to defend invading infections!
- Get the garlic! Garlic and onions are key due to their antibacterial activity. They also promote the health of good gut bacteria by acting as prebiotic foods. Sounds like a good butternut soup is in the horizon!!
- Dietary sources of Vitamin C is not only just citrus fruits! Choose leafy vegetables and dark green vegetables such as spinach, peppers, and broccoli.
To learn more about how to build your Naturopathic Cold and Flu Kit, click here.