RAFT RACE 2022
Venue: Daventry country park
Date: Saturday, 2nd July 2022
Cost: £10 per team
Registration: 11.15 am latest
Scouts Construction starts at 11.30 am and races start at 12.30 pm.
Explorers Construction starts at 1 pm and races start at 2 pm
Finish time hopefully 4.15 pm
The object of the race is to paddle, sail or punt from one side of the water, around the island at the far side and return to the start using a raft put together by the Scout or Explorer team.
- No screws, nails or cable ties are to be used
- No prefabricated parts – this includes drilled holes, carved notches or numbered pieces
- Only paddles, sails or poles can be used to propel the raft
- Anyone deliberately falling off their raft and pushing it may have their raft disqualified
- Anyone interfering with another raft or behaving in an unsafe manner will have their raft disqualified.
- A minimum of 4 and a maximum of 8 scouts per raft. All those building their raft must also take part in the race.
- Buoyancy aids and safety helmets MUST be worn when on the water (these will be supplied but you may provide your own).
- There MUST be NO help from leaders or parents with the building of the raft or slight adjustments when no one is looking, it is unfair and not in the spirit of scouting. PLEASE let the young people do their own work. Please ensure you tell any adults with you about this rule.
- All materials/rubbish must be removed at the end of the event.
- EACH GROUP LEADER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR OWN SCOUTS’ SIGNED PERMISSION SLIPS, PLEASE ENSURE THIS SLIP INCLUDES THE CONFIRMATION THAT THE SCOUT CAN SWIM AT LEAST 50 metres (Scout Association Rules).
- Scouts should bring a spare set of clothes/shoes and a towel – they will get wet!
- No cooking or fires are allowed at Daventry Country Park
Contact: Ian Mcveigh phone number: 07761533226