In this email:
- 10th Anniversary Concert Photos
- Message from Ginger & Saul
- ONHB Info night
- Rideau Cadences at Kiwanis Music Festival
- Reminder of TBA fund raiser April 28
- News from NHIMA
10th Anniversary Concert
Congratulations musicians and band leaders for a fantastic concert! You really did us proud. Thanks to Felicia and her stage crew for managing the logistics of getting the stage set up for each band so quickly and so well. Thanks also to all the many volunteers who so generously helped make sure that all the many moving parts ran smoothly and that people were treated to some great munchies. Thanks to our wonderful audience, who braved pretty awful weather to come out and support us.
And finally, thanks to our terrific photographer, Harry Turner, who managed to take some great photos of us in a very challenging situation. The photos will be uploaded to the ONHB website, but here are instuctions for downloading them directly from Harry Turner's website:
- The concert photos are posted to my website: harryturner.smugmug.com
- On the home page you will see a thumbnail for the ONHB Concert low right.
- Click on the thumbnail to enter.
- The gallery is password protected and the password is: Allegro (case sensitive).
- Click on any thumbnail to view the preview and the image can be expanded to full screen with the icon upper right. The images are relatively hires at 2560x1440 pixels.
- The images are set to permit downloading if you wish a copy of the file.
- When viewing the image full frame lower right you will see the download icon, . Click on this and a panel comes up to allow you to save the file to your computer. You will see the same icon as you mouse over the thumbnails on the front page of the gallery.
- Well done all and I hope you enjoy the photos.
Message from Ginger and Saul Jacobson
Many of you will remember (and still miss) Ginger and Saul Jacobson. Ginger was one of the original band leaders, and Saul began the first ONHB jazz band. They live in Winnipeg now, but on the occasion of our 10th Anniversary, they had this to say:
- Wow! That’s phenomenal! Thank you so much for the update. Saul and I often reflect on our time with the ONHB folks and the fun we had helping to facilitate their discovery of music later in life. Please convey our very best wishes on this accomplishment and safe travels to everyone! We have fond memories of our time with New Horizons. G & S. 🎶🎶
ONHB Info Night
Tell your friends! An ONHB Info Night will be held on Monday, June 4 from 6-8 pm. Anyone interested in trying out concert band instruments and hearing about the ONHB program is welcome. Location TBD - it will be posted on the calendar of our website.
Rideau Cadences at the Ottawa Kiwanis Music Festival
Rideau Cadences performed at the Ottawa Kiwanis Music Festival in April. We were delighted to hear that, with a mark of 87 and a very high silver rating, Rideau Cadences has been nominated to participate in the Provincial Competition. Kiwanis also provided a high-quality recording of their performance, which you can listen to here.
Two Beats Ahead Fundraiser Saturday April 28
Don't forget, Saturday night is your opportunity to dance to the big band sounds of TBA and support the Canadian Guide Dogs for the Blind. See more details here.
News from NHIMA
The NHIMA Music camp at Chautauqua NY, scheduled for September 23 - 27, is filling up, but as of last week, they were still looking for string and percussion players. Registration is now open, so if you are interested please register soon. That link will also show you other band camps going on this summer or already planned for 2019 all over the USA.
We wish you a wonderful summer.
The ONHB Team